J

What a novel idea...

G'day, Mates!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David Steele

Hello, lovely people.

Although I haven't given up on a print run just yet, I'm giving serious thought to launching 'Marris and Wade -Demon Bound' as a kindle /print on demand book in the autumn.

To this end I'm offering advance copies of the latest draft to any of you who'd like to read it and tell me what you think.

I don't need proof-readers (got that in hand) but I really would value your feedback and general impressions. (80k words)

Back cover blurb (with apologies to those of you who already know it)

“Ladies and Gentlemen, we are Marris and Wade, purveyors of the unusual! For your delight and
amazement, we have sights to bedazzle you, wonders to inspire you and terrors to haunt your dreams! For just a few coins, let us transport you away from your sleepy lives to the furthest edges of the world.
“Roll up! Forget your daily drudgery for a little while, suspend your disbelief and let your imagination run riot!”

They came home from the war without their drums, left only with the clothes on their backs and a dislike of being shot at. Marris, the quiet one, had lied about his age to join Wellington’s Army, and then there was Wade, who had cheated and gambled his way out from the gutters of London to secure his place as the Regiment’s lucky talisman, so blessed by good fortune that grown men would fall over themselves to touch his golden hair before stepping into battle.
Wade never lost a bet. Everyone knew it, even General Wellington. The Lucky Drummer was touched by magic.
But magic in the fog of the battlefield and magic in sleepy Yorkshire hamlets are very different things. Words have a terrible power, and people are fragile. It isn’t easy being a charlatan when every word you say comes true.

'Marris and Wade - Demon Bound' is a vibrant Gothic fantasy of tragedy and tall stories, of demons and enchantment, of love, loyalty and lies.

Anyway, please let me know if you fancy it.

Thank you

David

I was hoping for the chance at a read when you previewed the first chapter; I'd love to give it a read-through, if you'd like.

Super - thank you. Please message me your email address and let me know what format would suit you best.

I would love a copy to peruse at my leisure, just not sure if i should wait for it in paperback, every royalty helps :)

I don't tend to read from my own genre while I am writing it, but seen as I am writing the battle scene at the end, and your book is so intriguing, I'm bending my own rule.

Nice one, Karen and Jennifer. Please be kind enough to DM me your email address and preferred format, thank you very much!

@They came home from the war without their drums

Is that going to be something of special significance? Because ....'The lucky drummer was touched by magic.'

Has he lost his magic, in coming home without his drum? or has something happened to warp it?

I like the premise, that words have power and must be exercise with caution, and be proportionate to context.

Their sales pitch, I'm not quite ready to buy. Who says 'my' life is sleepy? Why should I roll up?

Your life would be sleepy if it was 1818! Tell 'er, Wade!
I'm about as gullible as they come, though.

@They came home from the war without their drums

Is that going to be something of special significance? Because ....'The lucky drummer was touched by magic.'

Has he lost his magic, in coming home without his drum? or has something happened to warp it?

I like the premise, that words have power and must be exercise with caution, and be proportionate to context.

Their sales pitch, I'm not quite ready to buy. Who says 'my' life is sleepy? Why should I roll up?

I see your point here, Katie-Ellen. There are contradictions and assumptions in the blurb that might put people off. I'll have a good think and see if I can improve it.

Thank you!

Sleepy in 1818?? Maybe, tho' hard, depending on location and the effects of recent war. ADD: (There was a general election that year)

Last edited:
There was a general election that year
Neither Marris or Wade would have been able to vote until about forty years later - and only then if they owned property. Votes for working class / rural men are just about as recent as votes for women.
(Little bit of politics, ladies and gentlemen. Always a bit dodgy)

Why would they need to vote? That's the whole point of the Gentry — they know what's best for the Little People, and are honor-bound to take care of them, in that knowledge...

Completely agree. As John D. MacDonald put it, a writer reads a book either with "weary contempt or grinding envy."

After I put it down for the day, of course, because while I was reading it I wasn't thinking about anything else, I had a few "good God how can I grow from this" moments.

I'd love to read it, too, but I've got too many other projects right now. But heck, when it comes out I'll buy it and read it at my leisure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

What a novel idea...

G'day, Mates!

Back