Thought of the Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara

Emeritus
Nov 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Dilemma:

I've got this idea for a fresh new novel; something completely different which would need a load of research on WW2. No plot yet, just a vague premise and a few ideas, but I'm excited about it. Yeah, it won't be an easy one. It'll be a dark novel and intense to write.

But, I've just finished writing Playing the Burn Card and I'm starting the submission process. I love my MC and would like to spend more time with him, but that WW2 story is calling loudly. I hear publishers quite like serials so I feel I ought to write that sequel to help sell PtBC. Also, having the sequel already would make life easier should PtBC get picked up (I wish). I have a vague idea for a plot but I'm not that excited by it.

Which one do I write? My heart wants to explore the WW 2 novel. My head wants to attack the sequel.

Any advice?

I would go for the new idea. Personally, I wouldn't entertain sequels until the first book is sold. What I'd do is write a synopsis for the sequel, while you're thinking of it, and then come back to that when PtBC is sold.

I'm halfway through writing my sixth Cornish Detective novel. I've yet to write stories back to back, always taking a break from my MC to pen something different, be it a novella, short story, poetry or song lyrics. However much you like your protagonist, you want him as an ally in your life, not a squatter who's moved into your every thought. You need a palate cleanser.

Ideas will come to you unbidden about the next story, so jot them down and the plot will form itself.

Writing a series is reckoned to be an easier proposition to market, but it's multiple times the work, needing focus on things such as manuscript layout to keep continuity. Also, to stay true to your world, you need to compile profiles of your characters, for mundane things such as when is their birthday, phobias and hobbies.

I'd go for what you feel more excitement for. Never mind the serial- you have to sell the one you have as a stand alone novel first. Should you sell it and publisher asks for a sequel then your adrenaline will flush into you fast and furious, more so than it ever could now. Follow your gut, Barbara, not your reason, when it comes to writing.

I'd go for what you feel more excitement for. Never mind the serial- you have to sell the one you have as a stand alone novel first. Should you sell it and publisher asks for a sequel then your adrenaline will flush into you fast and furious, more so than it ever could now. Follow your gut, Barbara, not your reason, when it comes to writing.
You raise an interesting point about the difference between a serial and a series, @Eva Ulian:

What’s the difference between book serials and a series of books, and what’s best for marketing and sales? - Creativindie

At one point, halfway through writing the second book in my Cornish Detective series, I toyed with the idea of releasing Book 1 in instalments, as Charles Dickens did with his books, but that seemed beyond my technical abilities at the time.

the difference between a serial and a series
I think it should be series because that refers to the same kind of characters but each book is independent of another, (Colombo:) whereas, serial depends on what has gone on in the book before (Beautiful). Sequel, I believe, is closer to serial than series. However, series and serial are usually, but not only, applied to TV and films.

@Barbara, so now can you please tell us if your next book is a series or a serial? :nerd-face:

@Barbara, so now can you please tell us if your next book is a series or a serial?
Well, the next book will be a stand alone. Has to be.

But Playing the Burn Card (which I've just finished) has the potential to be either. Having said that, there will be threads that will have to run through the next episode(s) because of the MC's evolution. I've decided though, I will hold back on writing them and start with the WW2 one.

Have fun with it!
I am writing a sequel, under contract, but I started it before the first book sold, and it was hard to believe in it, knowing it depended on the first selling.
Like you I've just had an idea for a totally different book, lots of new research... Exciting, isn't it? Mine would be set in the 1890s about which I know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calling fantasy writers

Thought of the Day

Back