Self Publishing: Keep Your Eyes Open

Bestseller lists?

G

What's everyone working on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it is true that self-publishing as a viable option for authors is expanding, there are still lots and lots of pitfalls with predators waiting beneath the thorn bushes at the bottom. Here is an excellent post by a friend of mine, author David Gaughran who has been slaying Vanity Press dragons for some time now. He clarifies some of the newer "industry affiliations" that can be confusing as well as dangerous to authors considering self-publishing.

http://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/...l-expansion-penguin-random-house-integration/

Thanks for that, it was a very infornative read. I have shared the details on Twitter and Facebook using the links at the bottom of the article. I interact with a number of authors and aspiring authors on social media who may benifit from reading this. Thanks again.

David is telling it like it is.

I was pretty mortified when Penguin paid - what, $120m? - for this company. But an investment that large cannot be easily written off... hence, tighter integration.

My feeling is that most Penguin people I know have not heard of AS, and would not want to...

Hey, businesses have every right to capitalize on market segments if they can... but they need to be honest about what is actually going on. New, anxious authors especially need to question everything, no matter who they are dealing with.

It all makes the author feel kind of small and insignificant doesn't it, the phrase 'what's the point?' seems to flit into the back of the mind. All these things are going to put many great stories firmly out of reach.

That's true. It's times like these I am glad I'm thick skinned and stubborn as an ox ;)

The business model is certainly changing. The trend seems to be shifting towards mainstream operators cashing in on the aspirations - not necessarily the output - of writers, and it's a very fine line not to cross. (I'm looking at you, Curtis Brown Creative!)

Be aware of many sites that seem to link back to one site that offers to help you publish, and then you find packages that cost $1,000 upwards. I dodged one from Bilboa press but ended up being chased by them for a year, even to the point of ringing me, even in the middle of the night! I have self published through Lulu, but when you can't afford to advertise, you are not likely to sell many, 8 only in my case. Also self publishing (print of demand) makes them expensive, about $15 plus postage for a 98,000 word novel, A5 size, about 340 pages. There is no easy answer, but do be very careful.A friend of mine used that company, and had to take out a loan to get her books printed. Sales haven't even covered the interest on her lone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestseller lists?

G

What's everyone working on?

Back