Help! Recording an Audiobook

Alyssa Majestic

Question: How do you write verbose characters?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! This thread seems to have gone dormant about two years ago, but I wanted to revive a bit of it.

I have been researching options, and believe me when I say that researching is my strong point. Over-researching to the point of being overwhelmed is also sometimes a thing for me, and I feel like I am getting to that.

So here is my situation:

I am a university professor in history. I teach online, so I hold both office hours and lectures online. That means that I need something that can connect directly in to my computer and pick up my voice comfortably for those reasons that can, ideally, also serve for audiobook creation as well. At the moment, I almost think that I might need to get two completely different items. I have definite space limitation issues: my desk is very workspace is compact.

I was considering the Blue Snowball and Rode as entry-level items, but I consulted several different YouTube videos, heard conflicting messages, and wasn't sure. It sounds like it could be okay, but it also could be a stopgap that you will be embarrassed of having later. Also, the age of some of these videos and reviews concerns me. Tech evolves rapidly, so a review of equipment dated 2019 leaves me to wonder, "If I contacted this person right now, what would they think of this item?"

For those of you who were taking this step two years ago, what updates would you give?

I’m with @Barbara on the Blue Yeti. I first bought a Snowball, and yep, as you say it was certainly OK.

But within 6 months I had upgraded to the Yeti. So much better for quality.

My guess would be the Snowball would be more than fine for your academic work, but if you wanted to recorded voice for audiobooks then the audio quality uplift with the Yeti is very noticeable

The Blue Yeti X or another model? The reason that I hesitate is that Booth Junkie did not recommend the Yeti for VO work at all, and suggested it seldom passed the sniff test for ACX--not that I am there yet, but I would like to keep my options open for the future. Aiden Wolf did a whole video about how people hated the Blue Yeti, which he called "pitching a little above its weight class". So I am confused. Absolutely nothing sounds excellent.

I’ve seen various YT videos about the Yeti. Some loving it while others quite disparaging. The latter often from folks with high demands on audio performance. Studio engineer types etc. and hence (IMO) there’s an element of sonic snobbery.

My understanding is that the Yeti achieved quite a reputation with the then burgeoning DIY podcast community. Many of the anti Yeti reviews seem to resent that high reputation.

I can only speak as I find. I have been a musician and done a lot of recording over the years. Sure there are better mics out there, but for the money the Yeti is excellent.

Mine is not the X model.

Yes, over the years I have heard some awful nonsense spoken on audio. I play golf too and the same technobabble exists around club performance. Notably drivers.

Measure either under laboratory conditions on sensitive analytical equipment and you can prove anything.

Thing is though, naked ears can’t differentiate to quite the same level ;)

Everything that Jonny says.

You have to consider your budget too.

Also if at a later stage you find you prefer a superdooper fancy mic, you can always sell the one you have (albeit for less dollars) and upgrade.

I bought my RØDE NT-USB MINI microphone after reading favourable reviews and because I found it on special offer. It’s of good quality and looks like it will last forever, as it’s heavy enough to break a toe should you drop it!

There’s a strange snobbery among audiophiles about makes and technical specifications, that doesn’t necessarily apply to the task of recording your narration of a story you’ve written. More than once, in fact many, many times, I wished that my microphone wasn’t so sensitive as to pick up distant or faint sounds which intruded onto my precious voice. It’s a truth that more time is spent remedying such noise interference than is devoted to giving as good a reading as you can of your tale.

I strongly advise anyone thinking of creating an audiobook to build as soundproof a recording booth as possible. Even in an empty room at the quietest part of the day, strange noises will sneak onto your recording. You need to find a way to keep them out.

You got a lot of advice. I will add this from my 1960s career in rock and roll. Glue paper egg cartons to the walls and ceiling. They absorb sound. Even a rock and roll band rehearsing at midnight will not disturb your neighbors. And the cartons come free with a dozen delicious eggs at your favorite grocery store. Eat eggs with lots of healthy fats. Turmeric, black pepper, salt, kimchee--it's up to your culinary imagination. But do not recycle those cartons. Ask your neighbors for more. I am sure they would love soundproofing your rehearsal room. And use cheap glue. No need to be fancy sticking them to the walls and ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alyssa Majestic

Question: How do you write verbose characters?

Back