Reasons to write

28 Calls for Submissions in September 2019 - Paying Markets

I didn't expect to like this book, but….

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting this, Rachel. Having been homeless myself, I'm aware of the problems of getting back into accommodation. I've worked with the homeless, including London's Crisis Christmas campaigns.

Most people are only a few paycheques away from failing to pay their mortgage or rent, which could lead to bailiffs and eviction. It's wrong to look down on street people, who are likely to be similar to you. When a relationship breaks down or a business fails, it has a drastic impact on all that you thought was safe and secure. Not everyone who is homeless is an idle layabout. I met a barrister who was using the Crisis Christmas shelter, who was at the time representing a celebrity client in a high-profile case at the Old Bailey. She'd become homeless after her partner changed the door locks, throwing her possessions into the entrance hallway of their luxury apartment. Normally, she slept rough in railway stations, the local coppers turning a blind eye to her as they knew her from court. She always got a cheer from the other clients when she appeared on a news report about the case.

The young man in the video needs a mentor, if not a saviour. I wonder if he'll ever get around to writing his book. Some have:

James Bowen (author) - Wikipedia

It's a scary thing the thought of being homeless. I have been a cat's whisker's away several times in my life and each time was rescued by a friend. It defined friendship for me. You can never forget someone who invites you into their home, no questions asked and gives you shelter. In a small way I try to emulate them in that we have an open house for young kids in our village. When their parents fight, as poor people tend to, they know they can turn up and find some comfort. A packet of crisps in front of the TV and a floor to sleep on and they are as happy as pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

28 Calls for Submissions in September 2019 - Paying Markets

I didn't expect to like this book, but….

Back