Reading while Self-Isolated

Where writers go wrong with story

How Different Are Your Stories?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
Various book world pundits are suggesting that the coronavirus pandemic is the ideal opportunity to catch up on your reading while you’re self-isolated.

Your coronavirus reading list: reader suggestions to bring joy in difficult times

Many such wags have listed which plague novels you should read; nothing like reading about the human race dying to cheer yourself up! :rolleyes:

Coronavirus quarantine reading list: 15 best apocalyptic books to read now

When it comes to self-isolating, I’m an expert. I’ve lived alone for 11 years and have no social life. All I do is write and read. I doubt that I say 200 words a week to people when I venture out for two hours a week to shop and change library books...which are great sources of infection. Eek! :oops:

I’ve recently acquired 60 books from charity shops and library sales, so I could withstand further incarceration for quite a while. I’m particularly looking forward to reading John Hart’s Iron House. He’s a great thriller writer.

I’m currently reading the best-selling Where The Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens. It deserves its success. If you’re looking for a volume to add to your coronavirus reading list, I recommend it.

Which books would you choose to while away your time with as non-readers continue to go out in public to infect one another?

Are there any weighty tomes you’ve been meaning to read for years?

Will you be choosing light-hearted reading or doom and gloom?

iu

Thanks Paul, I think we’re all be needing advice on self-isolating soon!

As a bit of a break from the norm, and thinking that sometimes when you’re under the weather even reading can feel like a strain, I think I’d recommend a comic book I’ve re-read many times: The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Millar. The art’s fantastic, the dark tone of the writing probably a bit familiar now as it pretty much re-invented Batman and invented the graphic novel, but it’s wry, action-packed, heart-breaking and fab.

I have been thinking of what to recommend and have several all leaning towards some much-needed laughs in the current circumstances.
The Michael Palin and Kenneth Williams Diaries are excellent.
So too are Clive James Unreliable Memoirs. Hilarious stuff and all collected together here in one book for a steal of £12.99 Clive James Complete Unreliable Memoirs
Almost anything by PG Wodehouse.
Probably still my favourite novel ever - The Van by Roddy Doyle.

'The Mirror and The Light', Mantel's final book in the Wolf Hall Trilogy

Mighty mind she's got, and heart, and the story-telling and the prose is stupendous.

Not cheerful, though there is definitely a certain humour.
I've just got the audiobook. I'm waiting to finish the book I'm on before starting it. I can't wait.

I've just bought Rev Peter Laws's book, Purged, to try. But after just finishing The Night Circus, I'd recommend that :) No laughs, but Erin Morganstern has created an enchanting world with a lot happening.

If we're looking for a laugh, I'd add Diary of a Nobody and Three Men in a Boat. 'Who is Tom Baker' is probably the funniest book I've ever read.

I only read Diary of a Nobody for the first time three years ago. Couldn't believe how it got past me until then.

Beautifully understated middle class mockery and manners. Oh, and hilarious too...

I only read Diary of a Nobody for the first time three years ago. Couldn't believe how it got past me until then.
Beautifully understated middle class mockery and manners. Oh, and hilarious too...
I re-read it pretty much every year. It never gets old. That and the Molesworth books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Where writers go wrong with story

How Different Are Your Stories?

Back