Rant Re Nick Cheetham's comments

Question: Can anybody help me understand this story (below)?

Cost of 'get published' course criticised: what do we think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
Nick Cheetham's replies on Pop–Up Submissions tonight on Women's Fiction (20 Feb) were interesting.

I knew that Literary Fiction was a judgment writers were wise to leave to others (agent, publisher...) but I never imagined that describing one's work as Women's Commercial Fiction could also be seen as getting a bit above oneself!

It's clear he's irritated by labels such as that; but for every agent or publisher who shares his view, I can show you several – double figures, no problem – who absolutely don't.
And what about Submissions websites such as Curtis Brown's, for example, or Query Manager in the US, which provide, and insist on completion of, an online drop-down menu choice of category with options such as Women's Commercial Fiction?
Also, I have NEVER read a 'How To Write a Submissions/Query Letter' article that did not specify a descriptor of that sort. Not one. And I've read a fair few now.

Perhaps Cheetham meant terms like Women's Fiction/Women's Commercial Fiction were too vague – but, with respect, HoZ's 'Summer Reading' isn't very precise.

Obviously this is only one more of the judgments around the Submissions process that are subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Can anybody help me understand this story (below)?

Cost of 'get published' course criticised: what do we think?

Back