• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Help Please! Publishing in the US market from somewhere else

GabrielOro

Basic
Hello everyone,

Despite not being from the US or any English-speaking country, my career started out with writing in English. I used to post to Reddit's short scary stories sub, and some of my work was picked up by an Asian publisher, gaining quite a bit of mileage. So I kind of built from there.

Recently, I finished writing "Titans of Kilica," a YA science fiction novel, and am beginning the dreaded agent search. However, I'm insecure about not being US-based. Is this going to be an automatic "no can do"? Are US agents open to representing an outsider like that? Has anyone here had any similar experiences? Thanks in advance.

Hi Gabriel,

I think you may have fallen thru the cracks here, can I suggest you post an intro using the “Welcome… I’m New Here” prefix. That will alert folk to you!

Just to answer your question. There’s no issue with NY-based agents representing non-US writers. In fact, it can be beneficial for the writer if their main market lies within North America.

Publishing is quite international in outlook, we don’t discriminate again non-locals!

My best – P.

I'm not based in America and I'm querying American and English agents. Having just been in the query trenches, agents never want to know where you're from. I recommend using somewhere like QueryTracker, it's so worth the money, and good luck! It's a numbers and time and luck game. If you have readers, let agents know. That'll grab some agents' attention :)

Back