Help! Pop-ups

Happy Fat Tuesday! A true story...

Comma press invites submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jennifer Stone

Anyone else getting loads of pop ups and adverts? They only seem to appear when i'm on litopia and they wont go away!!! What's happened? Have I clicked on something dodgy elsewhere and it's effecting this site for me? Please make them go away!

You can do that yourself, by installing AdBlock. I use it to reduce that annoyance, even helps on Fakebook (as I call it), and reduce the monthly internet useage ;-)

Anyone else getting loads of pop ups and adverts? They only seem to appear when i'm on litopia and they wont go away!!! What's happened? Have I clicked on something dodgy elsewhere and it's effecting this site for me? Please make them go away!
We absolutely don’t do that, it must be something else that’s installed in your browser...

thanks i'll have a check through my settings and maybe run a virus scan

Ah! they seem to be gone
FYI if anyone else gets these annoying ads, click underneath on the link ad options, it directed me to a separate website with an opt out link, click it and select the deactivate button
I'm still going to look through my programs and features for any add ons that might have leeched onto my system

We absolutely don’t do that, it must be something else that’s installed in your browser...
Just to make you aware, I've had a web page open by itself claiming to be a 2014 litopia survey where i can claim a £85 reward upon completion. With the trouble I've had recently, I've clicked on nothing and i don't do online surveys anyway, but thought you should be aware of this in case its a scam. I'm sure if you ran such an offer you would post it on the forum directly. Many thanks

I seem to have got rid of the blasted adverts for now! If anyone looks through their programs list and finds a program called Idle Crawler, uninstall it. It's an online marketing thing that uses your IP address and internet to advertise their clients, it sneaks in attached to a legitimate download, like a system update. Why it latched onto Litopia is anyone's guess, probably because it's one of my favorite sites :D sorry for the nonliterary post but i wasn't sure if it was just me or if something had attacked the site itself.
Anyway it appears to be resolved now, thanks for your patience

All rather interesting, but thankfully I haven't seen any of it. Hope it stays that way, and with AdBlock I'm sure it will :D

Just to make you aware, I've had a web page open by itself claiming to be a 2014 litopia survey where i can claim a £85 reward upon completion. With the trouble I've had recently, I've clicked on nothing and i don't do online surveys anyway, but thought you should be aware of this in case its a scam. I'm sure if you ran such an offer you would post it on the forum directly. Many thanks
Does this thing actually say "Litopia"? Can you post a screenshot of it?

Does this thing actually say "Litopia"? Can you post a screenshot of it?
I cant post a shot I don't have the software but it did definitely say Litopia. I think it just copied the name of the website I was on though. If it pops up again I'll copy the web address and post it to you

No software required, if you are on a pc. Just hit the PrtSc button (should be right of F12), and open any paint program including the basic windows one, open a new one, and right click and select paste. There you have it. Just save and then upload, simple, even for a dumby like me. True I've had plenty of practice though ;)

cool i'll try it if that site comes back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happy Fat Tuesday! A true story...

Comma press invites submissions

Back