Photographers,I'm looking for alternatives to photoshop for changing backgrounds

Reality Check When the Editor is RIGHT

News Berkley: open submissions for non-agented authors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pamela Jo

Oct 26, 2021
Wexford, Ireland
I have a number of pics where I want to remove the subject and put against my own background photos. There is supposed to be a way to do this with Luminar, but it's involved. I need something pretty simple. I just received an ad for Photostitcher from the same makers of PhotoScissors. Anyone tried it? Other alternatives? Photoshop does my head in. I'm more at the level of Sketcher for Mac. It's why I like Luminar.

I should add that I use it a lot and really like it.
Thank you. I'll have a look. You can use your own background photos, right? I tried a program that will cut out the main subject but when I tried to put it on my background it came out looking wonky so I had to do a silhouette which still has the background of the original.

Attachments

• _MG_5150ocean.jpeg
    _MG_5150ocean.jpeg
    21.4 KB · Views: 3
Another vote for GIMP here.

Yes, @Pamela Jo you can certainly do that easily and effectively and so much more too. GIMP is excellent and YouTube has squillions of tutorials on many different topics. It may take a day or two to get a bit of proficiency, but honestly, it won't take long and results are extremely professional.

Another vote for GIMP here.

Yes, @Pamela Jo you can certainly do that easily and effectively and so much more too. GIMP is excellent and YouTube has squillions of tutorials on many different topics. It may take a day or two to get a bit of proficiency, but honestly, it won't take long and results are extremely professional.
Thank you, excellent news! I'd heard of it before, but it seemed too good to be true.

Thank you. I'll have a look. You can use your own background photos, right? I tried a program that will cut out the main subject but when I tried to put it on my background it came out looking wonky so I had to do a silhouette which still has the background of the original.
Aye. Google "cut out photograph Gimp" or similar, and there's loads of info and helpful videos online, as Jonny says. Plus, it has a good HELP search facility, that removes the need for a manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check When the Editor is RIGHT

News Berkley: open submissions for non-agented authors

Back