Phone Books

It's Snowing in London!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara

Emeritus
Nov 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
The phone box in my local village has been turned into ... a library. It is run by volunteers, and anyone can pick up and drop off old books to their heart's content. Does anyone else have a 'library' hidden in a phone box, or in a cow shed, or in other unexpected places, in their village?

1519810562815.png

Last edited:
I've come across at least two. Much better to use the boxes in this way than to simply dig them up and dump them somewhere. I'm also a fan of the bookshelves in the waiting rooms of various train stations in the UK -- I think it's a lovely idea. Pick up something you fancy, drop off something that you're tired of.

I like it, but what does it say about attitudes towards reading and self-improvement in this country, when public access to books is besieged? Cornwall County Libraries are in a parlous state, with several branches amalgamated with Citizens' Advice Centres, and most opening only for half-days three times a week.

My nearest branch at Saint Columb Major, which I visit every Thursday, is about to be taken over by the local town council, as Cornwall County Council enter into what they're called a Devolution Deal—which, basically means they're washing their hands of responsibility for anything much—but they still want their council tax payments!

I like it, but what does it say about attitudes towards reading and self-improvement in this country, when public access to books is besieged? Cornwall County Libraries are in a parlous state, with several branches amalgamated with Citizens' Advice Centres, and most opening only for half-days three times a week.

My nearest branch at Saint Columb Major, which I visit every Thursday, is about to be taken over by the local town council, as Cornwall County Council enter into what they're called a Devolution Deal—which, basically means they're washing their hands of responsibility for anything much—but they still want their council tax payments!
You could start your own.

Yep. We had several pop up in vacant lots after the 2011 earthquakes as part of the Greening the Rubble initiative. I don't get downtown much, but I'm sure some of them are still there, as there are still LOTS of vacant lots. (Seven years on and it still looks like the place was devastated...buildings still sitting in crumbling piles awaiting the f***ing insurance companies' assessments...don't get me started...I gave up on my earthquake claim because the stress was taking years off my life.)

We also have a 'Commuting Book' programme--The Ministry of Awesome (yes, we have one here in Christchurch) leaves books on buses and at bus stops--anyone can pick one up and read it, leaving it on a bus or at a bus stop when they're done. I've put a couple of my books into the programme. They're floating around somewhere in the city.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It's Snowing in London!

Back