Phobias

O

What do you look for in a Literary Agent?

O

Fanfare! When you know better, you do better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
A phobia is defined by Artha, the online thesaurus, as 'an anxiety disorder characterized by extreme and irrational fear of simple things or social situations.'

In an old thread, we discussed what frightens us in in film and fiction, but most of those fears were rational. In my current WIP, I'm in the process of creating an antagonist, a rufty-tufty cat burglar who's an ex-marine. He's plainly unafraid of heights, as he breaks into houses at rooftop level, but I thought it would be fun to give this rugged villain a phobia.

I already have one of my detective team phobic about being on water—he"gets seasick stepping in a puddle"—and a murdering farmer believed he was haunted by ghosts, which is known as Phasmophobia or Spectrophobia. While hallucinating, he spoke to his victims, giving away his crimes to his battered wife, who turned against him in a cunning way.

I intend my cat burglar to be caught out by his phobia, which will gibe with a sub-theme of my story, about how we all tend to trip ourselves up by misdirecting our mental gaze. My detective protagonist will miss vital clues, as he's distracted by falling in love, and his quarry, a homicidal art gallery owner reveres paintings more than he does people, so is unaware of how close the coppers are to capturing him.

I've known people who suffered from strange phobias, picked up in childhood, which is when many phobias begin as a result of some stressful experience. One man, an ex-boxer given to brawling in pubs, was terrified of dogs. His phobia included tiny Chihuahuas, and he'd leave the bar if someone came in with such a lapdog. His fear derived from being badly mauled as a child by a stray dog, which gave him some of the facial scars that people thought came from fisticuffs.

An infant teacher was scared of fish, which sounds like an odd thing to be afraid of, as it included fish of all sizes—not just sharks—and goldfish are common pets in classrooms, which made her job awkward. She got her phobia from a childhood prank, set up by her sister. Their dad was a keen angler, bringing his catches home for the family to eat. One night the little girl went to enter her bedroom, opening the door and reaching around the corner to turn the light on. What she felt was revolting, for her sister had dangled a dead fish from a string, to cover the switch, and sat on the bed laughing at the terror it induced!

My mother was terrified of spiders, from being teased with them by her older sister. Phobias can be passed on through the generations, though thankfully, I avoided this arachnophobia. Mind you, I became considerably more wary of spiders, after living in the U.S.A. where the Black Widow and Brown Recluse thrive. The former has a greater reputation for evil, but as our American members know, the Brown Recluse packs a greater punch with necrotic poison that destroys human tissue:

WARNING: Brown Recluse Spider Bite Pictures :: Brown Recluse Bite
(Not for the squeamish!)

I was bitten by a Black Widow, while cleaning out guttering, standing 20' above the ground on a ladder. I felt something wriggling in my beard and swatted at it, before brushing it off, only noticing the dead spider on climbing down. I felt giddy, with chills and a hot sweat, and I threw up for about nine hours until I was as hollow as a drum. The experience didn't give me any Spidey powers o_O, though, to this day, my cheek sometimes itches where I was bitten.

Many fictional characters have phobias. Ron Weasley is afraid of spiders, Peter Pan is afraid of growing old, Miss Haversham has a fear of changes, Captain Hook loathes crocodiles,and Indiana Jones detests snakes.

Have you given any of your fictional characters a phobia?

Do you have any phobias?

Hopefully, none of us suffer from Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia—the fear of long words!

luposlipaphobia-cartoon-800.jpg

How great it would be to read a cat burglar who's afraid of heights. It's something to think about. I'm pretty sure vertigo is something that happens when people look down.

It's inaugurate to say a phobia prevents us from doing something. People are afraid of speaking in public, afraid of being in social situations. There is specific criteria differentiating between what we're afraid of and a fear. I'm too lazy this morning to do anything but gloss over the surface but a phobia is something which isn't an imminent threat, the individual has a high level of anxiety over, and goes to great lengths to avoid. So, I suppose fear of public speaking and social situations would fit that criteria.

But you could make your cat burglar afraid of heights. He could have a whole routine where he tricks himself into believing he's not high above the ground. Or, it seems that someone can be as afraid of standing on a chair as on top of the Empire State Building. So, maybe he can only climb so high ... and that's it. Or, maybe he's increased the height he can climb to do his cat burgling over the years ... slowly ...

Also, since phobias are often considered the result of a trauma you could put it in his backstory. This is something you might look at: Watson and the White Rabbit

Have you given any of your fictional characters a phobia?

Fears but not phobias.

Do you have any phobias?

It might take less time listing what I'm not afraid of.

THATS BETTER.

My daughter had a classmate at Primary school who was phobic about Yogurt. It was so bad that if any child took a yogurt into school for their lunch they had to clear it with a teacher before they ate it in case this particular child saw them and freaked out. They could not even use empty pots in the sand pits and so on.

In terms of mine, then I have all the usual dislikes of rats and snakes although I suspect these are actually rather logical and based on quite sensible assumptions. And people I don't know calling me 'mate'. I want to yell in their face that whatever I might be, I ain't your 'mate'. I suspect the reasoning behind it is rather dark in that I only have a few mates but we are close and have known each other for decades (almost all dating back to my childhood/teenage years) and would literally crawl over glass for each other if the need arose. It truly sets my teeth on edge and I find myself even balling my fists for no logical reason. The person saying it means no harm but it grates with me in a way that almost nothing else does given that I pride myself as having a thick skin but that particular word is a real chink in my armour and I know I should let it go.

I did decide to give my MC in a first draft a phobia about lifts, making him walk up stairs and so on. Not sure why, beyond it being a useful tool of sorts to link back to his childhood spent in a tower-block as it does not play any part in the novel although I suspect that if I attempt a series, perhaps it could feature in some plot later on.

I gave a character claustrophobia once, then made her enter a cave to save her friends, sadistic bitch that I am. ;)

I'm totally cool with snakes (used to teach with them, including a gorgeous 3m long Burmese python named Ka), spiders (I'm an entomologist, after all), and even bees (which I'm allergic to). I happily deal with rats, mice, bats, centipedes, [insert vermin here], and have little problem with heights (former gymnast and veteran tree-climber). But don't try to stick a needle in me. I have all my dental work done without anesthetic, because the pain doesn't bother me at all, it's the needle that freaks me out. I used to faint with every injection (and when I had my ears pierced, too). After two emergency c-sections, I'm not nearly so fussed about little-old needles (now I faint when I have to watch my kids have surgery...go figure), but I still avoid them whenever possible. I don't know if being a fainter makes it a phobia, though. My brain isn't afraid of needles (and I give my goats injections regularly), but my body seems to think passing out is an appropriate reaction to them.

Dual post, although this one has more replies ;-)

I gave a character claustrophobia once, then made her enter a cave to save her friends, sadistic bitch that I am. ;)

I'm totally cool with snakes (used to teach with them, including a gorgeous 3m long Burmese python named Ka), spiders (I'm an entomologist, after all), and even bees (which I'm allergic to). I happily deal with rats, mice, bats, centipedes, [insert vermin here], and have little problem with heights (former gymnast and veteran tree-climber). But don't try to stick a needle in me. I have all my dental work done without anesthetic, because the pain doesn't bother me at all, it's the needle that freaks me out. I used to faint with every injection (and when I had my ears pierced, too). After two emergency c-sections, I'm not nearly so fussed about little-old needles (now I faint when I have to watch my kids have surgery...go figure), but I still avoid them whenever possible. I don't know if being a fainter makes it a phobia, though. My brain isn't afraid of needles (and I give my goats injections regularly), but my body seems to think passing out is an appropriate reaction to them.

I have the same reaction to needles, and also soldier through dentist appointments without anesthesic. It's not that I'm afraid of needles, it's just that I pass out when someone sticks one in me. One not very sympathetic nurse told me it's called vasovagal syncope and as long as you don't fall and hurt yourself when you faint, it's not a big deal. And, like you, I'm getting better over time.

I have the same reaction to needles, and also soldier through dentist appointments without anesthesic. It's not that I'm afraid of needles, it's just that I pass out when someone sticks one in me. One not very sympathetic nurse told me it's called vasovagal syncope and as long as you don't fall and hurt yourself when you faint, it's not a big deal. And, like you, I'm getting better over time.

Maybe it's not a big deal, but it's thoroughly embarrassing. That complete lack of control over what your body chooses to do is maddening to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

What do you look for in a Literary Agent?

O

Fanfare! When you know better, you do better

Back