On Money From Stephen King's Fan Club

Ideas for a novel

New Server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creation in harness can deliver great things to order when one looks at say, architecture. And Gainsborough hated doing portraits. He called them his potboilers whereas now we see epic art, but largely, I'd say that must be true. Might this be the problem of the Poet Laureate.

In the current era, I think writers need to think of their potential customers - if of course they plan to attempt to sell anything. This is where the editorial process must be ruthless. Were any of Gainsborough's portraits unflattering?

Whether that translates to money is open to argument.

His portrait of Mrs Graham was utterly gorgeous. A few were definitely borderline. An architect who drew portraits at that time, George Dance, was in demand for his portraits, considered life like if unflattering. No selfie sticks. But then, there was a famous precedent, Oliver Cromwell saying paint me, warts and all. Depends on the client. Bacon made everyone look as if they'd been flayed alive. But...to be feel that you are being rendered in an icon for posterity by anyone sufficiently famous probably helps, even if you do look like a piece of, um, bacon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ideas for a novel

New Server

Back