Ohhhhh!

Healthy reading choices

Longest Wait for a Rejection Letter ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across this on a news website today - it would be funny if it was not so sad. Sub-editors are a dying breed.

Update: Michael Schumacher is still recovering in Geneva Switzerland from the head injuries he sustained after the fatal skiing accident in December 2013.

Yup. I'm regularly driven to apoplexy by the BBC -- poor grammar and incorrect spellings in subtitles, on charts, and on website, etc etc. Truly pathetic. No standards. No QC.

Shit, even I can call out on this one. It's like this everywhere, sadly. I stopped following Polish press altogether, primarily because the sloppiness of language and shocking grammar errors were just offensive to the reader. That's what you get when you rely entirely on unpaid interns, I guess.

PE still does Colemanballs, I thought? 'They've now lost six matches without winning...'

Private Eye call it Mediaballs these days.

One thing that drives me nuts, is writers and broadcasters using the expression 'of all time'. They say things like 'Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.' Time is a continuum, it's ongoing, in perpetuity, forever and ever. There could well be a film in the 23rd century that grosses more than Avatar.

The only way such an asinine statement could be true, is if it were made the instant the Earth exploded! Why don't they say 'in history', 'so far' or 'up to now'?

(I'm enjoying becoming a Grumpy Old Man)

Private Eye call it Mediaballs these days.

One thing that drives me nuts, is writers and broadcasters using the expression 'of all time'. They say things like 'Avatar is the highest grossing movie of all time.' Time is a continuum, it's ongoing, in perpetuity, forever and ever. There could well be a film in the 23rd century that grosses more than Avatar.

The only way such an asinine statement could be true, is if it were made the instant the Earth exploded! Why don't they say 'in history', 'so far' or 'up to now'?

(I'm enjoying becoming a Grumpy Old Man)

This was just baiting me to look it up so I found:
Definition of OF ALL TIME

It is not 'of all of time' which includes future time, but is just 'of all time' that has existed.

Being grumpy and not caring about it is a perk of age. :D I like Grumpy Old Men rants as I usually agree with them. :)

PE still does Colemanballs, I thought? 'They've now lost six matches without winning...'
No you've got me going. I can't find the Colemanballs about the hurdler, but these cricket ones are super:

He's usually a good puller - but he couldn't get it up that time. - Richie Benaud, Channel 9
In the back of Hughes' mind must be the thought that he will dance down the piss and mitch one. - Tony Greig, Channel 9
It was close for Zaheer, Lawson threw his hands in the air and Marsh threw his head in the air.- Jack Potter, 3UZ
Chappell just stood on his feet and smashed it to the boundary. - Jim Maxwell, ABC Radio
The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey. - Brian Johnston, BBC

No you've got me going. I can't find the Colemanballs about the hurdler, but these cricket ones are super:

He's usually a good puller - but he couldn't get it up that time. - Richie Benaud, Channel 9
In the back of Hughes' mind must be the thought that he will dance down the piss and mitch one. - Tony Greig, Channel 9
It was close for Zaheer, Lawson threw his hands in the air and Marsh threw his head in the air.- Jack Potter, 3UZ
Chappell just stood on his feet and smashed it to the boundary. - Jim Maxwell, ABC Radio
The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey. - Brian Johnston, BBC
:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Healthy reading choices

Longest Wait for a Rejection Letter ever!

Back