D

Manuscripts anyone...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy Lou

Basic
Mar 14, 2016
Colombo
I love Dylan's songs. Do I think the Nobel Committe made the right decision - I don't know. Perhaps it's an outdated perception on my part which makes me wonder whether Dylan's lyrics - most of which I love - can be considered literature - let alone good enough win a Nobel.

The Nobel Committee thought so. Most commentators seem to agree.

I'd like to know what my fellow Litopians think.

I love Dylan's songs. Do I think the Nobel Committe made the right decision - I don't know. Perhaps it's an outdated perception on my part which makes me wonder whether Dylan's lyrics - most of which I love - can be considered literature - let alone good enough win a Nobel.

The Nobel Committee thought so. Most commentators seem to agree.

Yes, I saw this. I quite like Dylan, sometimes, to listen to. But his lyrics are not literature to me, and certainly don't deserve any awards. For me the Nobels have pretty much lost all credibility anyway, a bit like the peerage system in the UK. I take no notice of either type of award.

Last edited:
One aspect of writing, that's rarely mentioned, and which could well be one of the determining factors of 'literature' is, how an author's words enter the language as commonly used expressions.

It happened with words and phrases from Dickens and Shakespeare and Bob Dylan too—for example, the times they are a-changin', he not busy being born is busy dying, don't criticize what you can't understand, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows, and (my personal favourite) money doesn't talk, it swears.

He deserves the award.

I remember the point being made by several commentators. And I agree with you there. But is that sufficient?

Maybe he is deserving of an award--though the Nobel...not so sure. Only because it has been equated to literature-not song writing. I think an honorary award would have been a better choice.
It makes me wonder--is this meant to be a statement of some sorts? Is it a political thing? And does this mean that the committee believes that there is no writer in the world worthy of the honor? Have they exhausted all the possibilities? Or were they just not willing to look further? I just find it odd and slightly out of character.

I agree with Patricia. Part of me also thinks, "but surely Dylan's won so many other awards...Couldn't they have chosen someone else who hasn't had an award like this before?" You know, share the love...

Thanks Katie-Allen. That seems a convincing analysis. Offering the Nobel peace prize to Obama soon after he was elected was another gesture.

Perhaps it's also a way of countering the horror that is Trump.

Yeh! I blogged on this:

Bob Dylan – Literature or Not? The debate rages, but my view was set way back in 2008 during an argument. I said that he was the greatest poet of the 20th Century. She thought I was mad and said Khalil Gibran. For me the key phrase there is 'of the 20th century'.

If you look at some of the great 20th century poets (at least I think they're great) such as Muir, Sassoon, Betjeman then much of Dylan's work definitely bears comparison.

War - e.g. Edwin Muir - The Horses was post-apocalyptic. Compare that with 'Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall’, ‘Talkin’ World War III Blues’. Vietnam and the military-political complex – ‘Masters of War’ says it all.

Then there are the themes of Civil Rights – ‘Oxford Town’. There have been so many injustices done to racial minorities in the US and, for example, ‘Hurricane’ paints this theme well.

People get hung up on his musical style(s) and his voice certainly doesn’t help, but it is the words that matter – the poetry. Certainly the musical form requires some repetition in choruses, but BD is well known for varying the chorus.

Many of his early songs were formed around stories he uncovered by reading newspapers in small town libraries. Therefore he is, I believe, one of the greatest chroniclers of the 20th century’s dominant themes - at least in the US. OK he missed WWI which, sadly, is where Sassoon’s chronicle ended, but Dylan is definitely a poet of our times.

But then, who am I to comment - I barely passed Eng Lit at O level? I leave comments to the citation of the Nobel Committee.

Yeh! I blogged on this:

Bob Dylan – Literature or Not? The debate rages, but my view was set way back in 2008 during an argument. I said that he was the greatest poet of the 20th Century. She thought I was mad and said Khalil Gibran. For me the key phrase there is 'of the 20th century'.

If you look at some of the great 20th century poets (at least I think they're great) such as Muir, Sassoon, Betjeman then much of Dylan's work definitely bears comparison.

War - e.g. Edwin Muir - The Horses was post-apocalyptic. Compare that with 'Hard Rain’s a-Gonna Fall’, ‘Talkin’ World War III Blues’. Vietnam and the military-political complex – ‘Masters of War’ says it all.

Then there are the themes of Civil Rights – ‘Oxford Town’. There have been so many injustices done to racial minorities in the US and, for example, ‘Hurricane’ paints this theme well.

People get hung up on his musical style(s) and his voice certainly doesn’t help, but it is the words that matter – the poetry. Certainly the musical form requires some repetition in choruses, but BD is well known for varying the chorus.

Many of his early songs were formed around stories he uncovered by reading newspapers in small town libraries. Therefore he is, I believe, one of the greatest chroniclers of the 20th century’s dominant themes - at least in the US. OK he missed WWI which, sadly, is where Sassoon’s chronicle ended, but Dylan is definitely a poet of our times.

But then, who am I to comment - I barely passed Eng Lit at O level? I leave comments to the citation of the Nobel Committee.

I have no arguments to say that Dylan is not a great poet or chronicler, or that his work isn´t to be considered literature. All that is fine, and yes, he deserves some sort of recognition. But The International Nobel is just not the Prize would consider.
As Atwood mentions, I too think that there is some sort of politics behind it. It´s an odd decision. The question is what exactly.
Given the times, wouldn´t it have been best to give the prize to-- I don´t know--a Sirian or Muslim writer? How about a black African woman. I don´t know, just a thought. I´m sure the money would have also been a lot more needed in those instances. The committee´s argument is weak, but hey, it´s their money.

Aren't there politics behind every prize or award? Or at least, preference/favoritism? Is it really blowing the collective minds of the Western World that a singer/songwriter who is well known for Vietnam War protest songs received such a prestigious honor? I find that amusing. :)

Aren't there politics behind every prize or award? Or at least, preference/favoritism? Is it really blowing the collective minds of the Western World that a singer/songwriter who is well known for Vietnam War protest songs received such a prestigious honor? I find that amusing. :)

So, what then are they trying to see in today´s world giving him the honor?

I love Dylan's songs. Do I think the Nobel Committe made the right decision - I don't know.
The Nobel Prize Committee seemed to be considering the impact that Bob Dylan has had on minds. I know that I have found myself discussing his lyrics with other people. I haven't done the same with "The Rolling Stones".

This is an interesting take on the issue.
more about whether his lyrics - or any lyrics for that matter - can be considered literature.
In cases like this, we need a "thoughtful" symbol. And why is Derek still with us?

Yeh! I blogged on this:
I think you've hit it squarely with "one of the greatest chroniclers of the 20th century's dominant themes".

Leonard Cohen is undoubtedly a poet, and a fine one too. I've written about 600 poems and song lyrics, which I find liberating in unexpected ways, as it often frees up ideas to do with my novel writing.

I used a short Cohen poem as the inspiration for my first novel The Perfect Murderer, placing it as an epigram in the opening pages:

The Reason I Write

The reason I write

is to make something

as beautiful as you are

When I'm with you

I want to be the kind of hero

I wanted to be

when I was seven years old

a perfect man

who kills

Leonard Cohen

Give me the child until he is seven...
That would seem an entirely apposite epigram :) And is that feeling your murderer's point of murdering origin?

And is that feeling your murderer's point of murdering origin?

I gave the viewpoints of two serial killers in this novel which has a multiple POV. One murderer uses the activities of the other to conceal a killing, something which has occurred many times in real life. Worryingly, the opinions of the covert killer were rather persuasive, as he targetted evil criminals—rapists, murderers, kidnappers, and drug-runners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Formatting the e-mail query

D

Manuscripts anyone...?

Back