Writers as Animals

A

New

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc Joan

Basic
Aug 26, 2014
...'memory-whipped'. Came across it in a book the other day. Perfectly describes the sensation of being chastised by a bad memory that pops up from time to time and sticks around, causing trouble. Recollection flagellation. Yes.

My such memories are usually highly embarrassing moments that taunt at the most unexpected times. They appear, throw their bombs and disappear, leaving me to cringe in silence.

'Memory-whipped' made me think of a song from the Allman Brother's debut album, called Whipping Post.

Its powerful lyrics sum up how I've felt sometimes when life goes wrong:

Sometimes I feel
Sometimes I feel
Like I've been tied
To the whipping post
Tied to the whipping post
Tied to the whipping post
Good lord I feel like I'm dyin'

I am pretty sure 'memory-whipped' is a cousin of a 'mind-worm'. The creature that eats into your brain first thing in the morning. The first bit of music you hear ('Save all your kisses for me' for instance by Brotherhood of Man) just won't go away. You end up humming it on the number 88 bus, or in the middle of an extremely important meeting. It's not that you like the music, it's just the first cognitive sound of the morning, and it just won't go. Is there another word for this?

I don't like the sound of "memory-whipped". I get what's behind it, it's very accurate, isn't it. And a new version of the - to some maybe - overly clichéed expression "haunted by memories". Yet somehow it doesn't do it for me, since memories come from the inside, whips from the outside. Just doesn't flow. How does a memory whip you? But it did provoke a nice discussion, as such did the job to draw attention to the feelings of the protagonist. One stumbles over it and has to pay attention, good writing, ey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Writers as Animals

A

New

Back