How to Publish

Jane Austen Festival!

Status
Not open for further replies.

georginaK

Georgina Key
Mar 16, 2019
Houston, TX
I read somewhere on here fairly recently (sorry to whomever said it--I don't remember) that it's a good idea to share with potential agents/publishers any requests you've had for full MS. I have had a few for the novel I'm working on getting published right now (with favorable responses), but I never mentioned it in my queries. I figured if it wasn't ultimately accepted for representation/publication, might that not be a turn-off for said agents? I'd appreciate any feedback on this--thanks!

I read somewhere on here fairly recently (sorry to whomever said it--I don't remember) that it's a good idea to share with potential agents/publishers any requests you've had for full MS. I have had a few (with favorable responses), but I never mentioned it in my queries. I figured if it wasn't ultimately accepted for representation/publication, might that not be a turn-off for said agents? I'd appreciate any feedback on this--thanks!
Also, what about if you were a finalist in a writing contest but not ultimately chosen as a winner? Should I mention that?

I don't know about the agent. I think that might go either way. If you're still querying then that means the agent passed on it. If they haven't passed on it, then why are you querying. So, it might depend on what the individual agent thinks of the other agent/agency. I really don't know though.

But the contest sounds like something you'd definitely mention.

You should definitely mention the competition short-listing: getting so close is a key indicator of the quality of your work. Referencing the agent is dangerous, I think, though might be useful if the agent really liked your work and only passed on it because it didn't quite suit their profile.

I'd just keep quiet myself, unless and until I received an actual offer of representation or publication. Then the question to myself might be, do I want to accept this offer (and if not, why not?) Or use it to see if I can leverage another possibility?

If the writing contest is a big, well known one, I think being a finalist is worth a mention.

I believe you need to mention a full MS request for simultaneous submissions ie if you've sent to Agent A, B and C then Agent A has requested full, you should let B and C know. I guess it gives B&C the chance to read your submission swiftly and see if they want to grab you first.

I'm with everyone else, if it's a recognised comp, yes mention it. And a request for a full? No. It could also signal to an agent that your query is good but the book isn't up to snuff (too many variables can be interpreted).

But @AliG scenario applies if you get a request and your book is with other agents, it's agent etiquette.

I'm with everyone else, if it's a recognised comp, yes mention it. And a request for a full? No. It could also signal to an agent that your query is good but the book isn't up to snuff (too many variables can be interpreted).

But @AliG scenario applies if you get a request and your book is with other agents, it's agent etiquette.
#RKCapps—that’s what I figured. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

How to Publish

Jane Austen Festival!

Back