NaNoWriMo...some Litopians are hooking up, want to join us?

December Flash Club is now open

A chat with Brandon Sanderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure... Nano doesn't really meet my sensibilities. It seems to tend towards pantsing and improvisation, and I'm much more about thinking it through. Tried Nano once, got to about 3K words and stopped updating. In the end got to about 30K for the month, which for me is productive. My current WIP doesn't have another 50K in it; if I manage to write another 50K I'll need to go back and rip out 30K. Which I may end up doing anyway...

So, I'm considering whether it's worth going through the whole rigmarole again.

whether it's worth
It doesn't have to be straight first draft writing; it can be editing, or rewriting, or multiple pieces (like an anthology of shorts). You could pick and choose which 'counts' to include for the day [1500 of an edit; 1000 of rewrite, etc.].

Hi @Dan Payne – I'm new to it too, and I joined on a day when they had loads of glitches. Hopefully cleared by now. This is how it worked for me: once you've filled in your profile there is a bit that says Find Buddies. Put in our names (separately) and we should come up. Send a Buddy request, and we'll accept – and cheer from the sidelines whenever you meet your target :) Apparently there's more than one Ancora Imparo (knew I should have been more original) but apparently I'm the latest one to sign up so that should find me . Look forward to seeing you over there.

My NoNoWriMo handle is the same as my Litopia one, if you want to find me, @Dan Payne

To be honest, I'm not going to bust a gut and try and write 50K words. I know I won't have the time and I'm not bothered about "winning" anything. I'm using it as a way to ensure I complete my first draft well ahead of my self-imposed Christmas deadline (I'm only about 14K short at the moment). I figured it would be a community-minded way to motivate myself. :)

@Dan Payne – are you using your own name? I've had a friend request from an OzFenric and I've no idea who that is or what the protocol is for accepting people we don't know. I'm a big wuss :D

Give it a go :) There's a few of us. It teaches you the discipline needed to complete 1666 words a day, or to make that up for days off. But if you're editing, it teaches you to devote the hours required for writing to push yourself. Most of all, it gets you off social media.

Even if you don't meet the goal, just pushing yourself means you still have more words than normal, and that's a win :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

December Flash Club is now open

A chat with Brandon Sanderson

Back