NaNoWriMo...some Litopians are hooking up, want to join us?

December Flash Club is now open

A chat with Brandon Sanderson

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence about Nano at the moment. I've got two projects on and the last thing I wrote for Nano was (despite 'winning') the biggest pile of garbage I've ever written. It's a great idea and project but I think this year I have too much else on.

I participated in the most recent #PitDark. I got exactly one legitimate like from an interested party*. Which I finally found time to respond to today, making a submission. Which they rejected with a form email in less than an HOUR.

I'm hoping doing NaNoWriMo for the first time will help cheer me up.

*I know "ordinary" people mean well when they like those posts, but the gut-punch of finding out it's not an interested agent is rough every time, so may a decommissioned Soviet satellite fall on those people *snorts fire*.

Good luck everyone :)

If you want something to spur you on, the WANA tribe (it's Kristen Lamb's group) works for me. This came in my email today:

Dear Tribe,
We have been doing daily sprints for five years now. Though this is helpful all year long, it's especially useful in November.

For those who don't know what NaNoWriMo is, it is National Novel Writing Month and a challenge to write 50K words in a month.

This said, every month is NaNoWriMo for some of us. BUT this is the month we get to actually earn badges and praise for the grind we do quietly the rest of the year. It is fabulous training for the new author and a great muscle builder for us writing veterans.

Regardless, it's fun.

I know y'all might have groups on the actual NaNoWrimo site, but I have created a tribe here for those of us participating. We can post daily counts, excerpts, etc.

As always, we will still be sprinting in the Chat section, just as we have for years.

For those who don't know what we do in a sprint, we set the timer for an hour. At the end of the hour you report what you accomplished.

This can be word count. It can also be research, revision, edits, blogging, or (if you have been sitting too long) a few loads of laundry. So long as it is FOCUSED PRODUCTIVITY.

At the end of the hour you can post a few lines from a WIP and tell us what you accomplished with your hour. We chat, then keep going through the day until we are spent.

When it comes to the NaNoWriMo Challenge, we have an absurdly high finish rate here.

On W.A.N.A.Tribe, we set and keep a professional pace so it is a great way to build those writing muscles, make friends, and have accountability.

To join the NaNoWriMo 2019 Tribe:
http://wanatribe.com/group/nanowrimo-2019

If you simply want to locate me on NaNoWriMo:
NaNoWriMo

Thanks so much for being part of our tribe and I hope you'll join us in the Chat section for sprints, whether you're doing NaNoWriMo or not.

(((HUGS)))
Kristen Lamb
Visit WANATribe at: WANATribe

To control which emails you receive on WANATribe, click here

I've changed my project. I was going to attempt a thriller for the first time. But I thought about it for a while, then decided that given this isn't a matter of life or death I would use the NaNoWriMo challenge to advance my project for a sequel to my first novel. My hands are badly arthritic (I've just had surgery on the left) and I find typing painful. So if I want to ever write the sequel I can't waste time and energy on the distractions of a badly written thriller.

Just found my way round the site and posted my first 1776 words! Yay!

Rachel – since you're an old hand here :) – do I have to post words every day or can I, for example, post two or three times my daily wordcount on one day, and then take a few days off? Does it work that way or do we absolutely HAVE to post a wordcount update every single day?

So should I register twice? Or is there a way to register two different projects?
You can register multiple projects and update their word counts separately. One of my projects is a writing project, the other is editing, but I want to count both of them towards my goal. Here's hoping their system is robust enough not to eat my word counts and poop out unearned badges.

*Picks up pen and new notebook*

All right, Universe, and your pathetic petty tiny sibling, Publishing Industry, listen up!

Because you never saw fit to let me have even one success in publishing, not one time, in a lifetime of writing, I've decided to do something I once saw as redundant: participate in NaNoWriMo.

You hear me, you vaguely personified-for-purposes-of-my-vitriol abstract concepts? There's going to be MORE writing by me in existence now because of you!

You brought this on yourselves!

Darn it, I can't get the thriller idea out of my mind. Is it possible to write two books at the same time, I wonder.
I have bits of three - one is a rewrite (the thriller), and I'm going slowly on that one; one is a scary fantasy story, and I'm planning that one out, with a few major scenes in semi-construction; and the other is a fictional memoir (fiction, written in the style of memoir), which is still in the brainstorming stage. Each one will be of use to the word-count, but I hope to finish the rewrite.
And I have nasty ar-fur-itis, too, and can only write in blocks of ten minutes. If I don't write though, my brain goes nuts. I glove up and count the ten minutes of an hour to use at the computer (can't use pen/pencil).

Oo Oo Oo, I'm excited. I thought there was a problem with the NNWM site. Turns out, if you click on your name and select settings, you can select your time zone. It defaults to somewhere in America (so even if you're in America, it may be defaulting to the incorrect timezone).

Today was extremely busy, but I still managed a whopping 153 words. According to the site, at this pace I'll be done on April 15.

Hope everyone is doing a lot better than I am.

Thanks, @RK Capps – another setting I'd no idea about :)

@Lex Black – I sympathise. I hate days like that, Lex. And those where I sit down to write, open the file, then think I'd better just check my emails, then I have a look on Pinterest, get a cup of coffee, decide the kitchen floor needs a clean and oh, I was going to read a bit more of that book... And I don't even go back into the room with the computer in it. 153 words is much better than 0. Keep going!

I sit down to write, open the file, then think I'd better just check my emails, then I have a look on Pinterest, get a cup of coffee, decide the kitchen floor needs a clean and oh, I was going to read a bit more of that book...

Absolutely this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

December Flash Club is now open

A chat with Brandon Sanderson

Back