Help! My series title sucks

Blog Post: Test pls delete

Question: Help me understand this about page word counts.

Jason L.

Staff member
Jun 22, 2022
Seminole, FL
It seems that I've been greenlighted by The Powers That be to start querying books already written in a series...once I fix my series title. And I need some help to find something that really works. These are gay romance novels, but I side with higher angst. I like real-world consequences and things that feel like there are stakes for the characters. They all take place in, or are connected to, a small college town in Virginia and small University there--Fairhaven.

The problem is that Fairhaven sounds pleasant enough, but it's meh. Good safe place? Come on. It's a town with a thriving arts problem that basically attracts lgbt students because it's been THE gay school since the 70s. Sure, the Chancellor would like to undo that image and "butch it up." Sure, there have been closures throughout the region, but...even if I keep the name of the town and the college (I'd prefer to, because that's what I've called it in my head for the past THREE SOLID BOOKS), the series title needs oomph. It needs drama, angst, sexy. It needs the promise that I'm going to take your soul and put it through the wringer, that PEOPLE ARE GOING TO HAVE ABSOLUTE DISASTER AND CHAOS VISITED UPON THEM. That's the only criteria. I don't intend to specialize in one thing or the other.

Here are my suggestions so far, and I need help.

So far things like Unspoken, Fractured, Tangled, Unveiled, speak to me. Unveiled Fairhaven? Still meh. Fracture Lines? Underbelly? It's super frustrating. Me and chatgpt have been going back and forth and I hate just about everything--Any ideas? Titles are my nemesis.

For those of you who want to get an idea, here are some things taken from my beat sheets, that Peter asked me to write. It's below the dotted line. The first chapters of three of the books are here if you want to have a sense of what I am writing, and my "vibe": Selected First Chapters

----------------------------------------------

Series 1: Fairhaven​

Hushed (Fairhaven #1)​

Summary/Blurb​

What happens when your summer fling becomes your student? Your much younger student.

Dr. Bastien Saint-Jacques is about to move to the middle of nowhere, Virginia. Cajoled into embracing his last week of freedom, he goes to DC where he meets an irresistibly handsome man. They spend five magical days together, but Bastien is clear from the start: this is temporary. When the week is done, so are they.

James Knight is newly separated from the Army, only in DC for a few days when he meets Bastien. By the end of the first night, he's delighted in him. By the end of the first day, he's pretty sure the private, sometimes-evasive Bastien is The One. And so, when they part, he wrangles one promise...

"If I find you, will you marry me?"

But holding Bastien to that promise is going to be hard. Especially when Bastien walks into a classroom a week later and discovers that his summer love is now his student.

Now if Bastien wants to keep his job and his visa, they’ll need to keep it hushed.

Join Bastien and James for the first book in the Fairhaven series today!

Tropes: Professor/Student, Forbidden Romance

POV: 1st person multiple, present tense.

Status: Completed, awaiting second-draft edits. No significant rewrites anticipated.

Heat Level: 3/5

Angst Level: 4/5

Trigger Warnings: None (!)

Word Count: 90K

Note: Establishes Fairhaven University and several of the key locales.

Hooked (Fairhaven #2)​

Summary/Blurb​

What if a friendly competition over a guy gets to the point where neither rival is willing to give an inch?

Ghost Van Hoek and Justin Davenport might not be on the friendliest of terms. Frankly, Ghost isn’t what you would call friendly anyway. Angry and aggressive, Ghost has little time for Justin, a privileged rich-kid who’ll soon inherit his grandfather’s company. But they both agree on one thing. Matt Comstock. Matt who sings like a rock-star, who’s kind and sincere. But Matt’s got his own problems. Trapped in a relationship that with a manipulative and emotionally abusive boyfriend he’s desperate to please, he’s convinced himself that his unhappiness is both temporary and easily disguised.

But for Justin, who’s been in love with Matt since high school and followed him to this college, it’s now or never. Graduation is soon, and if he doesn’t pitch his case, he might never get to. And for Ghost, what started out as a grand game of interference—a way to annoy Justin by lavishing time and attention on Matt—has acquired real feelings. And that’s complicated everything. Because the real feelings are for both Justin and Matt.

So, how do you rescue a man who doesn’t know he needs rescuing? You’d need to do it soon because now both Justin and Ghost are hooked.

Join Matt, Justin, and Ghost for the second Fairhaven book today!

Other Information​

Tropes: Throuple (MMM), hurt/comfort, trauma, enemies to lovers, competition, old-flame to lovers

Status: Completed, awaiting second-draft edits. Significant rewrites anticipated.

Heat Level: 4/5

Angst Level: 5/5

Trigger Warnings: On-page physical assault of major character. On-page verbal degradation of major character. Realistic depiction of post-abuse trauma, including fugue state and dissociative amnesia. Violence.

Word Count: 180K

Note: Ghost Van Hoek, Justin Davenport, and Matt Comstock first appeared as side characters in Hushed.

Cameos by: James and Bastien (MC, Hushed)

Harmed (Fairhaven #3)​

Summary/Blurb​

What if the carer you’ve been working toward your whole life is over before it began?

Derek Livingstone has plans for this town. He’s got plans for the state. He’s got plans, period. Last year, he defeated a seven-term incumbent to become the youngest elected mayor of Fairhaven, Virginia. Ruthless and determined, he’s got his eyes fixed on moving up the political ladder. Every moment of his external life is scripted. He’s building an empire on favors and goodwill.

And that empire is about to crumble.

When an opposing candidate pays Vlad Van Hoek, a stripper and sometimes rent-boy from the wrong side of the tracks to seduce the young mayor, it winds up splashed all over the internet. Now Derek has revenge to plan, a political opponent to destroy, and a choice: either detonate his political career or spin a fairy tale for the public to buy.

And what do you think is going to be Derek’s choice?

Go for the throat. No matter who is harmed.

Join Derek and Vlad for the third book in the Fairhaven series today!

Other Information​

Tropes: Fake relationship, revenge, politician, class warfare

Status: Completed, awaiting first-draft edits. No significant rewrites anticipated.

Trigger Warnings: On-page physical assault. Violence.

Note: Derek and Vlad both first appeared as side characters in Hooked. Vlad Van Hoek is the younger brother of Ghost, and twin brother to Draco Van Hoek.

Cameos by: Ghost, Justin, and Matt, (MC, Hooked); James and Bastien (MC, Hushed)

Hated (Fairhaven #4)​

Summary/Blurb​

What if the one true love of your life is the one person you can’t even look at?

In one day, seventeen-year-old Parker Bishop lost his family and home to one of the worst wildfires in Virginia history. The only reason he’s still alive is because of Lance Broussard, who separated him from his family and got him to safety. Lance is everything that the Parker of the week before would have wanted for his first boyfriend: adoring, sweet, and attentive—and Parker, consumed by grief, feels nothing but pain.

After the two thoroughly break each other’s hearts, they separate: Lance to the Marines and marriage, and Parker to India and an unexpected career as a travel influencer before returning to the US to work in the study-abroad department of Chalmers College, where can be close to home without setting foot in Fairhaven ever again. But when Chalmers closes its doors after 147 years, he reluctantly accepts the only job he can find: working in the international office at Fairhaven University.

And discovers that he is now sharing a cramped office with Lance Broussard, who will do anything to get him fired. Someone really is out to get him. And not just at the office. It could be Lance. It could be the father never knew. But one thing is certain: by someone, somewhere, Parker is absolutely hated.

Join Parker and Lance for the fourth book in the Fairhaven series today!

Other Information:​

Tropes: Second-chance, grumpy/sunshine, romantic suspense

Trigger Warnings: Death of family, violence against major character, stalking.

Word Count: 90K (projected)

Note: Lance Bishop first appeared as a side character in Harmed.

Series 1: Fairhaven​

Hushed (Fairhaven #1)​

Summary/Blurb​

What happens when your summer fling becomes your student? Your much younger student.

Dr. Bastien Saint-Jacques is about to move to the middle of nowhere, Virginia. Cajoled into embracing his last week of freedom, he goes to DC where he meets an irresistibly handsome man. They spend five magical days together, but Bastien is clear from the start: this is temporary. When the week is done, so are they.

James Knight is newly separated from the Army, only in DC for a few days when he meets Bastien. By the end of the first night, he's delighted in him. By the end of the first day, he's pretty sure the private, sometimes-evasive Bastien is The One. And so, when they part, he wrangles one promise...

"If I find you, will you marry me?"

But holding Bastien to that promise is going to be hard. Especially when Bastien walks into a classroom a week later and discovers that his summer love is now his student.

Now if Bastien wants to keep his job and his visa, they’ll need to keep it hushed.

Join Bastien and James for the first book in the Fairhaven series today!

Tropes: Professor/Student, Forbidden Romance

Status: Completed, awaiting second-draft edits. No significant rewrites anticipated.

Heat Level: 3/5

Trigger Warnings: None (!)

Note: Establishes Fairhaven University and several of the key locales.

Hooked (Fairhaven #2)​

Summary/Blurb​

What if a friendly competition over a guy gets to the point where neither rival is willing to give an inch?

Ghost Van Hoek and Justin Davenport might not be on the friendliest of terms. Frankly, Ghost isn’t what you would call friendly anyway. Angry and aggressive, Ghost has little time for Justin, a privileged rich-kid who’ll soon inherit his grandfather’s company. But they both agree on one thing. Matt Comstock. Matt who sings like a rock-star, who’s kind and sincere. But Matt’s got his own problems. Trapped in a relationship that with a manipulative and emotionally abusive boyfriend he’s desperate to please, he’s convinced himself that his unhappiness is both temporary and easily disguised.

But for Justin, who’s been in love with Matt since high school and followed him to this college, it’s now or never. Graduation is soon, and if he doesn’t pitch his case, he might never get to. And for Ghost, what started out as a grand game of interference—a way to annoy Justin by lavishing time and attention on Matt—has acquired real feelings. And that’s complicated everything. Because the real feelings are for both Justin and Matt.

So, how do you rescue a man who doesn’t know he needs rescuing? You’d need to do it soon because now both Justin and Ghost are hooked.

Join Matt, Justin, and Ghost for the second Fairhaven book today!

Other Information​

Tropes: Throuple (MMM), hurt/comfort, trauma, enemies to lovers, competition, old-flame to lovers

Status: Completed, awaiting second-draft edits. Significant rewrites anticipated.

Trigger Warnings: On-page physical assault of major character. On-page verbal degradation of major character. Realistic depiction of post-abuse trauma, including fugue state and dissociative amnesia. Violence.

Word Count: 180K

Note: Ghost Van Hoek, Justin Davenport, and Matt Comstock first appeared as side characters in Hushed.

Cameos by: James and Bastien (MC, Hushed)

Harmed (Fairhaven #3)​

Summary/Blurb​

What if the carer you’ve been working toward your whole life is over before it began?

Derek Livingstone has plans for this town. He’s got plans for the state. He’s got plans, period. Last year, he defeated a seven-term incumbent to become the youngest elected mayor of Fairhaven, Virginia. Ruthless and determined, he’s got his eyes fixed on moving up the political ladder. Every moment of his external life is scripted. He’s building an empire on favors and goodwill.

And that empire is about to crumble.

When an opposing candidate pays Vlad Van Hoek, a stripper and sometimes rent-boy from the wrong side of the tracks to seduce the young mayor, it winds up splashed all over the internet. Now Derek has revenge to plan, a political opponent to destroy, and a choice: either detonate his political career or spin a fairy tale for the public to buy.

And what do you think is going to be Derek’s choice?

Go for the throat. No matter who is harmed.

Join Derek and Vlad for the third book in the Fairhaven series today!

Other Information​

Tropes: Fake relationship, revenge, politician, class warfare

Status: Completed, awaiting first-draft edits. No significant rewrites anticipated.

Trigger Warnings: On-page physical assault. Violence.

Note: Derek and Vlad both first appeared as side characters in Hooked. Vlad Van Hoek is the younger brother of Ghost, and twin brother to Draco Van Hoek.

Cameos by: Ghost, Justin, and Matt, (MC, Hooked); James and Bastien (MC, Hushed)

Hated (Fairhaven #4)​

Summary/Blurb​

What if the one true love of your life is the one person you can’t even look at?

In one day, seventeen-year-old Parker Bishop lost his family and home to one of the worst wildfires in Virginia history. The only reason he’s still alive is because of Lance Broussard, who separated him from his family and got him to safety. Lance is everything that the Parker of the week before would have wanted for his first boyfriend: adoring, sweet, and attentive—and Parker, consumed by grief, feels nothing but pain.

After the two thoroughly break each other’s hearts, they separate: Lance to the Marines and marriage, and Parker to India and an unexpected career as a travel influencer before returning to the US to work in the study-abroad department of Chalmers College, where can be close to home without setting foot in Fairhaven ever again. But when Chalmers closes its doors after 147 years, he reluctantly accepts the only job he can find: working in the international office at Fairhaven University.

And discovers that he is now sharing a cramped office with Lance Broussard, who will do anything to get him fired. Someone really is out to get him. And not just at the office. It could be Lance. It could be the father never knew. But one thing is certain: by someone, somewhere, Parker is absolutely hated.

Join Parker and Lance for the fourth book in the Fairhaven series today!

Other Information:​

Tropes: Second-chance, grumpy/sunshine, romantic suspense

Trigger Warnings: Death of family, violence against major character, stalking.

Word Count: 90K (projected)

Note: Lance Bishop first appeared as a side character in Harmed.

Cameos by: Derek (MC, Harmed)

Future projects:​

Handled: The Chancellor’s new personal assistant clashes with the local union organizer before discovering that there is a deeper mystery dogging the university.

Heard: Following a devastating accident, a man with synesthesia falls for a voice, and then a personality, on the Fairhaven College Radio’s late-night Pirate hour before realizing that there’s something wrong with the colors playing out in his mind.

Hitched: When two Fairhaven students meet each other by accident on a gas station on the way to the West Coast, they think nothing of it. Until one of their cars catches fire on the Interstate, and the other offers him a lift back home.

Note: This series is open-ended.

Cameos by: Derek (MC, Harmed), Draco Van Hoek (side character, Hooked), Bastien, (MC, Hushed)

Future projects:​

Handled: The Chancellor’s new personal assistant clashes with the local union organizer before discovering that there is a deeper mystery dogging the university.

Heard: Following a devastating accident, a man with synesthesia falls for a voice, and then a personality, on the Fairhaven College Radio’s late-night Pirate hour before realizing that there’s something wrong with the colors playing out in his mind.

Hitched: When two Fairhaven students meet each other by accident on a gas station on the way to the West Coast, they think nothing of it. Until one of their cars catches fire on the Interstate, and the other offers him a lift back home.

Note: This series is open-ended.

Jason, my lovely, I'm going to think on this for a while.
But my gut is saying this - even if you choose a series title, your readers may well pick one that fits for them. George R R Martin's A Song of Fire and Ice sounds great, but eveyone calls them the Game of Thrones books.
Whatever you decide, your readers will probably always call them the Fairhaven books, as - like the Discworld novels - that is what they have in common.
And I don't think Fairhaven gives off the right vibes. It sounds unbearably twee, and a bit Disney-cute.
I know it's what you're used to calling them in your head, but a grittier and more interesting place name could sell this.
Spitballing here - go outlandish, like, I don't know, Morbidity Falls or Turpitude.
Or Temperance, Chastity, Updown Valley, New Cairo, Sentient River, or Low Dudgeon.
Someone I know comes from a town called Normal, and her poetry book is entitled The weather in Normal. If you don't know it's a town, it is such an intriguing title.

I like Thornhaven but it has a fairytale vibe to me. And I can't get Thornbirds out of my head when I see it.

"haven" is one of those words so like Claire suggests, add something dark-ish, but to me "thorn" is the wrong vibe.

Brokenhaven
Breakinghaven
Fearhaven
Nohaven
Wronghaven
Blackhaven
Farhaven

Broken Roads in Fairhaven (but that might be too long.)

I'm not good at titles either.

Last edited:
From your description an ironic Feyhaven might work.

Feyhaven, Va.
Feyhaven County
Feyhaven Coll.

Maybe stick with Fairhaven which evokes quintessential Virginia,
ie: Fairfax Co. surveyed by G. Washington himself. BUT go more directly small college town atmosphere. As a product of Lawrence, Ks I so get that small-town haven for artists, free thinkers/fuckers.

Just call it "Liberal Arts" ?

B.L.A.

Bachelors of Liberal Arts

Some inside professor's slang for this? You have the inside academic scoop. Is there some secret professor language spin you can use?

Last edited:
From your description an ironic Feyhaven might work.

Feyhaven, Va.
Feyhaven County
Feyhaven Coll.

Maybe stick with Fairhaven which evokes quintessential Virginia,
ie: Fairfax Co. surveyed by G. Washington himself. BUT go more directly small college town atmosphere. As a product of Lawrence, Ks I so get that small-town haven for artists, free thinkers/fuckers.

Just call it "Liberal Arts" ?

B.L.A.

Bachelors of Liberal Arts

Some inside professor's slang for this? You have the inside academic scoop. Is there some secret professor language spin you can use?
A play on the word 'bachelors' sounds interesting!

Yes, but "Feyhaven" also suggests either A-I am going to do something with paranormal/urban fantasy, and, no, I won't in this series ever. It also suggests that at least one of the characters will be consistently "Fey", and that is not going to happen. If it feels right for the character, they can wear makeup or try out drag shows--after all, a lot of gender experimentation happens in college--but I'd rather not commit to something I know for a fact that I won't deliver.

@Barbara I do actually need a town name/university name that sounds reasonable. Cazenovia College in Cazenovia, NY, Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, North Carolina, Davidson College (Davidson, NC), Brevard College (Brevard, NC)--all of these are reasonable names. You get the idea. These are small college towns whose primary economic focus is just the university that was set up there, often as a teacher's college or seminary.

You would never name a place all of these names. Blackhaven especially...This town would have been founded in the 1820s. Slavery was still a thing until 1865 in Virginia, and nobody would ever suggest that a town or village was a 'haven' for Blacks. Honestly, Fairhaven sounds the most reasonable for what a real Virginia college town sounds like, and it's significant that the US people are like "it's okay" and the British people are like "it's boring". Considerng that the US market is more important to me, I need to weight their opinions a little higher.

@Barbara I do actually need a town name/university name that sounds reasonable. Cazenovia College in Cazenovia, NY, Belmont Abbey College in Belmont, North Carolina, Davidson College (Davidson, NC), Brevard College (Brevard, NC)--all of these are reasonable names. You get the idea. These are small college towns whose primary economic focus is just the university that was set up there, often as a teacher's college or seminary.

You would never name a place all of these names. Blackhaven especially...This town would have been founded in the 1820s. Slavery was still a thing until 1865 in Virginia, and nobody would ever suggest that a town or village was a 'haven' for Blacks. Honestly, Fairhaven sounds the most reasonable for what a real Virginia college town sounds like, and it's significant that the US people are like "it's okay" and the British people are like "it's boring". Considerng that the US market is more important to me, I need to weight their opinions a little higher.
I like Fairhaven so not all Brits feel the same. Go with your instinct.

Ah, I see what you're aiming for. Makes sense.

Go with your gut. Fairhaven can work as a series title.

Last edited:
These are small college towns whose primary economic focus is just the university that was set up there, often as a teacher's college or seminary.
Ooh, so how about a posh-sounding gentleman’s name? Something with straight, pompous overtones that you can subvert?
Something like Prestley, perhaps? Prestley College. Prestley boys are known for….

So I did a survey with people within my own genre, and largely they are American and in my own genre, and liked Fairhaven best, as the others were "trying too hard" or "meh" and didn't feel believable for a placename/series name. Most useful suggestion was to add "University" or "U." so "Fairhaven University" or "Fairhaven U." to make it clearer that this is the genre.

Richmond, Birmingham, Oxford, Shelby, Hillsborough, Wilmington, Charleston/Charlestown, Augusta, Charlotte (named for the Queen), Boston, Salem, Amherst, Norfolk, Dover, Newcastle...East Coast, and Southern place names really harken back to that shared Englishness of the 1750s.

Richmond, Birmingham, Oxford, Shelby, Hillsborough, Wilmington, Charleston/Charlestown, Augusta, Charlotte (named for the Queen), Boston, Salem, Amherst, Norfolk, Dover, Newcastle...East Coast, and Southern place names really harken back to that shared Englishness of the 1750s.
If you like Englishness you can have Wokingham, where I live. Is never gonna be famous for anything otherwise, lol.

It seems to me that the stories are built around Fairhaven, and changing the name of the town and university does kind of change things, quite a bit. So, without changing anything about what you've completed, and staying aware of the genre, it seems you need something descriptive, fun, catchy and unique.
So, you know, just do that...

A couple thoughts, each of your story descriptions begins with What If:
So the line above the title says:
A What If book (What If, vol#)
Or,
Trigger Warnings
or
Do You Like to Watch, vol.#

Lots of great input. I never watched Peyton Place (too young) but I know about it and this reminds me of that. Small town/secrets/everyone screwing one another....

Fairhaven: Boys will be boys ;) (or similar subtitle)

Blog Post: Test pls delete

Question: Help me understand this about page word counts.

Back