• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Blog Post: My Friend Is An Adventurous Snail

Latest Articles from Litopia’s Collective Blog

From Our Blog

Blogger
LitBits
New blog post by AgentPete – discussions in this thread, please
---

It was an irresistible afternoon, the gorgeously seductive late summer / early-autumn sunlight inviting me to come play in the woods… how could I refuse? So I grabbed some wild garlic bulbs and a trowel and hied me to the dappled paradise. Work could wait, at least for a couple of hours.

Bulb planting is an absorbing experience. You don’t look up much. Your zone of attention narrows to a few centimetres. Little else exists.

But there was something else.

It was a tickle, a slight disturbance on the back of my hand; less than a breeze but more than a falling leaf.

An itch?

No, more sensual than that.

And… moist.

I refocused from the bulb-in-question and found…

A large snail.

Gently but with great determination mounting the back of my right hand.

I could feel his mouth gently probing and exploring.

It wasn’t unpleasant at all.

At my wrist-line now, his eyestalks taking me in.

We thought about each other for a while.

He knew that I knew he was there, no question. An incalculably large animal, perhaps fierce, perhaps a snail-eater.

But he was still climbing.

Because – I was there.

Total respect, little snail. Had our roles been reversed, I would not be so plucky.

I let him conquer my right arm, a Matterhorn of the molluscan world, sliver slime trail in his wake.

At shoulder height, I balked.

There’s something odd about the idea of a man walking around with a snail on his shoulder.

Parrots, well yes. Cats, even: I’ve seen them doing that in Regent’s Park.

But not a snail. Neither of us would get the respect we rightly deserve.

Gently, I lifted him down. And he crawled away.

With a story to tell his grand-kids.
---

By @AgentPete
Get the discussion going – post your thoughts & comments in the thread below…

Back