Boo!

29 Writing Contests in September 2019 - No entry fees

Status
Not open for further replies.

georginaK

Georgina Key
Mar 16, 2019
Houston, TX
If I submit an excerpt from my novel and just the excerpt is accepted for publication, does that count as being previously published? I’ve also been submitting the full MS when requested and obviously want to publish it as a whole work. I’m assuming it’s okay but just wanted to put it to the group to make sure. Thanks!

Is it the same book? Publishers don't like the work you're submitting to have been published. That's my understanding, but there are exceptions. Has it been published yet?

Agent Janet Reid speaks about this. I think you are fine as long as the piece was not published alone with an ISBN.

Interesting @Jackson Banks, really good to know about the ISBN bit :) Janet has the answer to so many things!

My question would then be about this bit "Is it or was it available for sale?" Does she mean the whole or part? Because "for sale" is nothing like printing or beta reading (either whole or part). So if I think like a business person (say a publisher), is it fair to ask readers to pay twice for the same thing (whether whole or part)? Reading between the lines, a blog post is fine, but, say a magazine where you pay, even though it doesn't have an ISBN, is not. Am I reading too much into it? I'm interested to know your take :)

@rkcapps I think its referring to the whole manuscript not an excerpt. And to the point about paying twice, I think if it was the whole book then yes but I still don't see a problem. I think the bottom line is, was the book being queried ever offered for sale as a complete story?
One side note, this has nothing to do with georgina , but on another post I had read before Janet Reid talks about authors denying having self published the book they were querying. She said she had a few times where a publisher was interested and then found out the author lied!

I think the query pool is filled with authors who self published, failed in terms of sales expectatinos and then withdraw it and try to go the trad route. Her blog is filled with great advice and excellent stories that will make you shake your head in disbelief. In American publishing contracts their is a clause that any books in braile printed are to be given away for free (at publishers expense) and the author receives not monetary compensation. She had an author who refused to agree to it and lost his deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boo!

29 Writing Contests in September 2019 - No entry fees

Back