Modern challenges

Question: how to format actual written words in a novel?

Why You Should Consider Joining Mastodon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Aitch

Basic
Aug 29, 2014
West Midlands, UK
Dear Litopians,

It's been five years since I was last on the site and how the world has changed ...

I wish to ask, given the current 'liberal' climate, do middle-aged, straight, white authors stand a chance of achieving publication?

I ask this because in reviewing several culture/entertainment/politics commentaries, it appears that we are considered the enemy.

I sincerely hope I am mistaken.

Thanks

J

Dear Jay
First, thank goodness for a liberal climate - though I suspect if I were in one of the minority groups I'd still see the bias that shows it's not quite equal yet.

My thoughts are these: in an arena such as publishing, where things are rapidly changing towards the digital and self-publishing is on the rise, traditional publishers are less willing to take a punt, and more inclined towards things that seem guaranteed to reward their investment.
Ergo, the playing field is currently quite tough for everyone, regardless of sex, age, skin-colour or gender.

Yes, agents and publishers are actively looking for more books written from wider perspectives, and about time too. The market is hungry for them after all the lack, and so they are genuinely filling a gap.

But what still seems to be successful are just stonkingly good books that appeal to the population, whatever the genre or author.
So, as Izuku rightly says, do damn good story-telling.
Because a great story, written by anyone, will always find its market, don't you think?

Upvote 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: how to format actual written words in a novel?

Why You Should Consider Joining Mastodon

Back