• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Dandelion Break Mine’s Bigger Than Yours

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
United-Nations
Media coverage of the wreck of the Bayesian continues, bodies have been found and extracted, and now the blame game begins.

Ninety-four rather less important people died in the same waters in one incident last year. Those deaths involved undocumented migrants and were therefore less culturally significant. Even in death, billionaires are more equal than most other folk. Their narratives have more power.

But billionaires never rest easy, particularly when jostling for status amongst their own kind. Mr. Lynch’s yacht boasted a grotesquely-tall mast, all 278 feet of it, the tallest aluminium mast in the world. A naked challenge to Jeff Bezos, the Amazon billionaire, whose own yacht, Koru, soon pipped Lynch’s record.

It reminds me of Bologna.

A few years ago, a publisher was kind enough to fly me to the children's book fair there. It was fun, but one afternoon I decided to explore the city a bit. Browsing the local museum, one medieval engraving stopped me in my tracks.

towers-of-bologna-82.jpgIt was a cityscape all right; but none I’d ever seen outside of science fiction. Here was the city as pincushion, an urban landscape riddled with more skyscrapers than present-day London or Manhattan combined. And all with the same square, solid and frankly rather ugly design; the sort of visually-aggressive fuck-offery more often associated with Bugattis or Lamborghinis than with the refined aesthetic of medieval architecture.

Between the 12th and the 13th century,” explains Wikipedia, “Bologna was a city full of towers. Almost all the towers were tall, the highest being 97 metres (318.2 ft)… in the 13th century, many towers were taken down or demolished, and others simply collapsed.”

Always a rich city, Bologna’s borghesia likely got into a pissing match. My tower is taller than yours. Mine is closer to heaven and the ear of God. You will not be remembered, but I will.

And what of Mr. Lynch’s towering, Ozymandias-like mast? There is the uncomfortable, grimly-ironic possibility that it may have played a role in the boat’s watery demise. We will find out quite soon. And then, as with all things, we will forget.

Yep, the phallic symbolism in the whole Bologna tower thing got me chuckling when I first read about it quite some time ago.

I've always been waiting for Trump to pull another hustle to build a tower in New York to pip the Burj Khalifa by (ahem) an "inch or two". ;)

may have played a role in the boat’s watery demise
True. And the theories abound. Obviously the makers – or the company that currently owns the Viareggio yard that built the vessel – have plunged in to defend themselves. Specifically about the mast and the retractable keel, but also the vaunted excellent stability and self-righting properties of the yacht, with its mast.

Today came the first loud and serious suggestion of 'human error', but it won't be the last. I can easily believe that everything that could be opened was opened on such a very hot night, when, if what I have read is true, there was no storm alert posted. (And why not? was another question.) That would have torpedoed any self-righting chances as water poured in on all sides.

My very first question at the news was the dark arithmetic of: crew members lost (1), passengers missing, possibly lost (6).

The local fishermen were awake in the storm and watching their own vessels at anchor almost five minutes before the Bayesian sank. The super-yacht didn't disappear in an instant, as it seemed to from phone-cameras: it was plunged into darkness when the lighting fused as a result of serious water ingress. What were the crew doing in those 3-5 minutes? The life raft launching was, I understand, an automatic function of the yacht.

To be fair: the British-flag Bayesian was classed in the maximum category of passengers (22 or less) for a private vessel. Any more would have required classification as commercial, at which point much tighter passenger safety regulations kick in. A rating for 22 or fewer means that the thoroughness of familiarisation routines, and frequency of lifeboat drills and the wearing of lifejackets (for example) might in practice be largely negotiable between owner and Captain.

In the same way, the choice of such a small, relatively shallow draught, harbour as Porticello would also have been a subject for discussion, I assume. Arguably, the harbour was not suitable for the Bayesian. Its relatively shallow water-depth was likely to have led to the keel being retracted, with a resultant reduction in intrinsic vessel stability. And the yacht was denied any storm protection from the harbour walls or breakwater because it couldn't get closer in.

I realise I have seen the Bayesian, though I didn't know it at the time. A couple of years ago, it was anchored off where I live. In the bay, but quite far out, so clearly it was a large yacht. Late, on a very dark night, I stood for some time, counting the lights on the unusual mast, times the distance apart I reckoned they were – and repeatedly not believing my calculation. I see now I wasn't that far out.

Media coverage of the wreck of the Bayesian continues, bodies have been found and extracted, and now the blame game begins.

Ninety-four rather less important people died in the same waters in one incident last year. Those deaths involved undocumented migrants and were therefore less culturally significant. Even in death, billionaires are more equal than most other folk. Their narratives have more power.

But billionaires never rest easy, particularly when jostling for status amongst their own kind. Mr. Lynch’s yacht boasted a grotesquely-tall mast, all 278 feet of it, the tallest aluminium mast in the world. A naked challenge to Jeff Bezos, the Amazon billionaire, whose own yacht, Koru, soon pipped Lynch’s record.

It reminds me of Bologna.

A few years ago, a publisher was kind enough to fly me to the children's book fair there. It was fun, but one afternoon I decided to explore the city a bit. Browsing the local museum, one medieval engraving stopped me in my tracks.

View attachment 19054It was a cityscape all right; but none I’d ever seen outside of science fiction. Here was the city as pincushion, an urban landscape riddled with more skyscrapers than present-day London or Manhattan combined. And all with the same square, solid and frankly rather ugly design; the sort of visually-aggressive fuck-offery more often associated with Bugattis or Lamborghinis than with the refined aesthetic of medieval architecture.

Between the 12th and the 13th century,” explains Wikipedia, “Bologna was a city full of towers. Almost all the towers were tall, the highest being 97 metres (318.2 ft)… in the 13th century, many towers were taken down or demolished, and others simply collapsed.”

Always a rich city, Bologna’s borghesia likely got into a pissing match. My tower is taller than yours. Mine is closer to heaven and the ear of God. You will not be remembered, but I will.

And what of Mr. Lynch’s towering, Ozymandias-like mast? There is the uncomfortable, grimly-ironic possibility that it may have played a role in the boat’s watery demise. We will find out quite soon. And then, as with all things, we will forget.
It's not unlike how we knew that a ship with four funnels and the fanciest of new safety features could never sink on an Atlantic crossing, isn't it? Are these people looking to create metaphors with their sea deaths? BTW, a good piece on the sinking. Wow, 60 seconds from afloat to gone.

What were the crew doing in those 3-5 minutes?
And...
A rating for 22 or fewer means that the thoroughness of familiarisation routines, and frequency of lifeboat drills and the wearing of lifejackets (for example) might in practice be largely negotiable between owner and Captain.
You may have nailed it.

60 seconds from afloat to gone.
As I heard it, it was 60 seconds until the lights went out and the vessel disappeared into the darkness of a very dark night, because power was lost as the water began to come in.
It was still there but not visible – that was what the fishermen were saying.
I don't believe what was reported (in The Guardian) was possible. Frighteningly quick, yes; instant, no.

But back to the mast length competition:
it wasn't Lynch who commissioned the super-yacht 'Bayesian' and kicked off the tallest mast race. First named 'Salute', it was originally built in 2008 for a Dutch property developer, who sold it, at a loss, to Lynch in 2014.

Back