Shenanigans...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
As you can’t help but have noticed, we have a rare panel of voice talent on Pop-Up Submissions! I’m blown away by their readings on every show. In some ways, it makes my job harder, because they can lift quite dull material and make it seem coruscating.

We currently only have one male voice, Rich, on the panel. You may know him from his Churchill impression (stunningly good, you can hear those jowls flap!) or any one of dozens of different personae he brilliantly inhabits.

It would be nice to add one more male voice to our panel next year (this year’s readings are all sorted). If you have a male voice, maybe you’d like to join our illustrious panel?

You do need to be able to record to a reasonable quality, but we can give some help with that.

Let me know.

As you can’t help but have noticed, we have a rare panel of voice talent on Pop-Up Submissions! I’m blown away by their readings on every show. In some ways, it makes my job harder, because they can lift quite dull material and make it seem coruscating.

We currently only have one male voice, Rich, on the panel. You may know him from his Churchill impression (stunningly good, you can hear those jowls flap!) or any one of dozens of different personae he brilliantly inhabits.

It would be nice to add one more male voice to our panel next year (this year’s readings are all sorted). If you have a male voice, maybe you’d like to join our illustrious panel?

You do need to be able to record to a reasonable quality, but we can give some help with that.

Let me know.
If being deaf doesn't pose problems I would be glad to do some readings. I would also like to try the Sunday sessions, but have been too worried about not being able to hear what's happening.

Hi Pete! I'm new here (only a week in, but enjoying like minded company in what often feels like a lonely venture!), but I'd be open to doing this. I recorded my own submission that I made last week (I'm not certain whether the audio quality was good enough?), and I like reading stories aloud. I suppose it depends on how quick a turnaround you'd need and the level of audio quality; I can only record on my smartphone. Thanks, Rob.

Afraid my reading voice rapidly degrades to a dull monotone, which wouldn't be fair on the authors, otherwise I'd happily do a few.

Despite often being told I have a face for radio, like Marc Joan, my voice tends to descend into a monotone level. I recorded my own submission on my phone and even I got bored! That said Pete, if you let me know what equipment is required and the turnaround, I'l happily can give it a try.

@Richard Turner, @Robert M Derry, @Marc Joan, @Paul V ... Guys, can you bung me across a test recording, I'll happily take a listen. Click here to upload it:

Dropbox - Submit files

A lot will depend on the tech quality of the audio, and that muchly depends on your gear and the ambient environment. It may well be that you don’t have a suitable room, in which case, nothing we can do about it.

• Record in a quiet room, preferably with no echo.
  • If you don’t have a recording program, I suggest Audacity. It’s free, and runs on all operating systems. See the short video below for instructions.
  • When you’re done, save the file as a WAV (instructions in my video).
  • Upload the file to the Dropbox link above.
And... thanks!

Thanks @AgentPete, I'll record something tomorrow and upload it. What are you looking for a recording of? A short reading of something I've written, or should I just pick a book up off my shelf and read that aloud, or do you not mind?

Hi @AgentPete. I've recorded the first three pages of a book I picked off my shelf and uploaded it to your Dropbox. I don't have regular access to a PC/Mac (I write on a Chromebook), so I downloaded a recording app to my phone and recorded it on there. The audio quality sounds fine to me, but you may find otherwise. Let me know what you think either way. Thanks Rob.

Got a windows media audio file for you -- having problems attaching it to Litopia PM system. Will keep fiddling.

Hi Pete. I've uploaded a couple of files. Each recording took several attempts so hats off to the current readers who make it sound incredibly easy and natural! I have included my own Pop-up submission, not in any attempt to highlight it but if you do think it's usable then it just saves time for someone else who may have been given the piece to record. Having listened to both, I doubt I'll be signed up for any audiobook work. :)

@Paul V, the first few times I did recordings it went like this: {record, make a bags of it, go back to the start (I didn't twig the cut button (the scissors!)) Record again, listen back, cringe, wail, rerecord, pray I pronounced (almost) everything properly} and repeat until I'd just save it and send it on its way (with great gnashing of teeth).

It gets easier and more enjoyable (it's usually great fun :) )

@Paul V, the first few times I did recordings it went like this: {record, make a bags of it, go back to the start (I didn't twig the cut button (the scissors!)) Record again, listen back, cringe, wail, rerecord, pray I pronounced (almost) everything properly} and repeat until I'd just save it and send it on its way (with great gnashing of teeth).

It gets easier and more enjoyable (it's usually great fun :) )
Oh the cut button was a godsend! I started out with the best of intentions of doing it in one 'take'. By the end I was cutting out a word here, a paragraph there! I doff my cap to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Book Review: The Skylark's War by Hilary Mckay

Shenanigans...

Back