Making Accurate Internet Searches

Better late than never...

Hi, I'm Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
As writers, we frequently need to research our subjects. My browser history can look alarming as if I'm intending to murder someone with references to poison, putrefaction and post mortems. It's not me, honest your honour, it's what my fictional killer is going to do....

Few of us have been trained how to use a computer, and we just pick things up as we go along. It's easy to miss shortcuts and refined techniques in how to run internet searches. I use Google for 99.9% of what I look for, but sometimes it's as dumb as a sack of spanners and I turn to Ask.com—formerly known as Ask Jeeves.

A few years ago, I was startled to run across information on how Google's Autocomplete suggestions are based on not only where I live and what language I use, but also what I've searched for before. Perusing the suggestions made me wonder if it was me who was weird or other Google users....

One aspect of searching the internet, that's always driven me nuts, is how Google favours whatever is new and hogging the media. For instance, were I searching for Mandrill Baboon and there was a rapper with that stage name making the news at the moment, then most of the early results would be for him and not the ape.

There are ways around this irritation, such as the minus operator (-) to narrow the search. This article contains some great tips:

10 tips for smarter, more efficient Internet searching

0666b6fd41a7033b0d4ec578b7670980--mother-in-law-photo-facebook.jpg

(Me, getting angry at another failed internet search)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Better late than never...

Hi, I'm Peter

Back