Inspired or intimidated?

34 Fabulous Writing Conferences in July 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikky Lee

Nikky Lee
Jul 27, 2018
New Zealand
Compiled this list to keep track of them all. Might be useful. Feel free to add any that I've missed!

#SFFpit – Science fiction and fantasy pitches only. The next #SFFpit will take place on July 24, 2019.

#DVpit – For marginalized authors and illustrators only. 2019 pitch dates TBA.

#PitMad – All genres. The next PitMad will be September 5, 2019 (8AM – 8PM EDT) & December 5, 2019 (8AM – 8PM EST).
  • Note: the Pitch Wars mentorship programme (run by the same organisation) opens for mentee applications from September 25 - 27, 2019 (Midnight - 10PM EDT).
#PitDark – Dark fiction. 2019 dates TBA (usually in May and October). Based on previous years, my guess is the next one will be between 24-27 Oct.

#PBPitch – Picture books. The next #PBPitch will be on Thursday, October 24th, from 8am to 8pm EST.

#IWSGPit – All genres. The next #IWSGPit will be on January 15, 2020.

Last edited:
@Nmlee, can you tell me what you do? I've watched one before, but haven't paid close attention. You tweet a logline on your feed with the #?

I'm not ready, but I'd like to watch what's out there :)

@Nmlee, can you tell me what you do? I've watched one before, but haven't paid close attention. You tweet a logline on your feed with the #?

I'm not ready, but I'd like to watch what's out there :)

Yep, participating is easy. In a nutshell, you come up with a series of short pitches (max 280 characters - that's Twitter's limit) and post them on Twitter across a specified pitching period. In the case of the next #SFFpit, it's from 8am-8pm (EST) on July 24. SFFpit allows you to post 10 pitches over the day, however, other pitching contests, such as #Pitmad, only allow you to post 3 times.

Key things to remember are:
  • Use genre and age group hashtags to make it easier for agents and publishers to find your pitch. For example, if I'm pitching an adult epic fantasy, my hashtags are #EF (epic fantasy), #A (adult) and #SFFpit. You can find the complete list of SFFpit hashtags here, but note, every comp is slightly different, so look them up before you post to make sure you're using the right set of hashtags.
  • Don't "like/heart" pitches from other writers—this is for agents and publishers to show that they're interested and want you to submit to them. If you want to support a pitch, retweet it instead.
Dan Kobolt has written a more in depth guide on Twitter pitching, which I found useful when first looking into participating.

Also, I've found it helpful to get feedback on your pitches, I highly recommend testing them out in the writing groups.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Inspired or intimidated?

34 Fabulous Writing Conferences in July 2019

Back