Let's Talk About Me...

A

Help! Moving

Mal Peet, RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an interesting take on techniques to open up your characters' inner lives for your readers' scrutiny. The comments are very good, too. It's something that I had to work to learn how to do in my own work. Funny thing, in my last book I was careful to make the inner life of my MCs pretty accessible so that motivation would be easy to figure out, but I got a couple of review comments that found fault since I didn't give them enough descriptive -- hair color, etc. LOL! You just can't please 'em all!

Like all writing its a tricky balance; between those who say you aren't giving enough, and those who say it's too much. Juggling is a required sport of all writers! Interesting link too.

I wrote the novel in third person. At fifth draft I rewrote it in first person, past tense. Since my MC is a man, I've had to summon my inner man. Such fun.

Last edited:
I don't know which I prefer, 1st person present tense or 3rd person past tense. What I'm writing now is 3rd person past tense. I have a catalog of characters, almost like character CV's. They are 5 pages long lol. Some are complete... others not so complete. But considering the extent of the world building venture I have undertaken and my (at the book 3 stage) 30 main character (not to mention their familiar and destrier which act as main or supporting cast) story lines... It would be kind of confusing if I didn't do something to remember how each one is different. They aren't all involved at once in every book, but are still all important in the grand scheme of the storytelling.

If the right one don't get you, then the left one will: Tennessee Ernie Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Help! Moving

Mal Peet, RIP

Back