• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

News Just When You Thought…

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
LitBits
United-Nations
...you’d got on top of AI / ChatGPT / The Terminator… Along comes:

Meet-Windows-11s-Latest-Update-How-the-New-Recall-Feature-Transforms-Your-Old-PC-1416611068.webp

I’ve been watching this “feature” of Windows 11 with mounting concern as it’s been announced, delayed, re-specced, denied, and generally made highly incomprehensible for quite a few months now.

Essentially, it’s a “feature” that records a screenshot of everything you do on your computer, every few seconds.

“Recall uses local AI models built into Windows 11 to screenshot mostly everything you see or do on your computer and then give you the ability to search and retrieve items you’ve seen.”

Wow! I never knew I needed that (I don’t).

“Described by Microsoft as a comprehensive record of everything you do on your PC, the feature is pitched as a way to help users remember where they’ve been and to provide Windows extra contextual information that can help it better understand requests from and meet the needs of individual users.

This, as many users in infosec communities on social media immediately pointed out, sounds like a potential security nightmare. That’s doubly true because Microsoft says that by default, Recall’s screenshots take no pains to redact sensitive information, from usernames and passwords to health care information to NSFW site visits.”

Microsoft’s contradictory statements about this “feature” haven’t helped. EG they claim it’s user-selectable and doesn't send all your sensitive data up to MS central. Well, this video disproves the first assertion.

Writers need to be very aware of any Microsoft Recall implementation on any system they may be using. Personally, I don’t need it, I don’t want it, and I’m delaying moving to W11 as long as possible because I don’t want a system that has the built-in potential to spy on me.