Question: Tools of the trade...?

Important! The inexorable rise of AI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izi 出久

Basic
Feb 21, 2022
USA
In case there’s any doubt, I’m obsessed with Indian food. Today I’m making vegetable korma. The recipe called for black mustard seeds, and has you cook them in a quarter cup of neutral oil until they split before adding anything else. I was at first skeptical (mustard seeds??) but as soon as I added the onion, peppers, and spice mix, I realized THIS IS WHAT I’VE BEEN MISSING. Have a good Saturday night, all :)

Ah just oil with neutral flavor. That’s normally canola for me but grape seed oil is also neutral, I think.

Man, it is tough to beat a really well done Aloo Gobi. Crazy difficult to make just right, either the potatoes or the cauliflower are mushy, if not both, when i try. Much easier to find a good restaurant, though it usually takes several months to convince a restaurant you really do mean Indische scharf when you say that.
Dishes of the Gods: Aloo Gobi. Pho. Drunken noodles. Carbonara. Kung Pao.
I'm getting ready to make a fried rice dish, and feeling it's quite inadequate.

I cook and eat a LOT of Indian food and there's nothing like the smell of onions and mustard seeds crackling in oil. I go through bags of the things. Check out Meera Sodha or Chetna Makan for some recipe inspiration. Going through a bit of an East Asia phase at the minute myself. White miso ramen on the menu tonight!

The way to keep your cauliflower from getting mushy: Just a little water in the pan heated to steaming. Stand the cauliflower like a tree so the stalk is in the water and the florets are in the steam. 4 minutes should do it for the average sized cauliflower. You can add your Indian flavourings to the water. If I cook a pan of Indian cuisine or casserole or whatever, I cook the cauliflower separately then stir it in at the end.

Saying Idian Food is a bit like saying European food...there is so much diversity across the sub- continent.
Definitely! Odd that I’ve eaten many styles and never eaten something I didn’t love… but I’m not picky. The korma I made over the weekend was Kerala-style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question: Tools of the trade...?

Important! The inexorable rise of AI?

Back