• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat Impressing with your pitch

tyes

In the most recent Huddle South, @AgentPete suggested that for submissions to agents and publishers, that sometimes printed might differentiate yours from the pile, so long as its well presented (but not too polished!). I've heard bad exampoles of eople submitting in writing using perfume or even glitter (that sounds like an instant rejection to me).

That got me thinking though - audiobooks are super strong now and most people can purchase reasonable recording equipment for an inexpensive price. Would a pitch, including a sample chapter that is an audio recording work? What about a video recording?

It's an interesting idea. The idea of sound (more than video) appeals to me as an audio-learner rather than a visual person.
But the guidelines for submitting to agents are very particular, even if they vary between agencies. If you don't adhere to the submission guidelines, it's instant rejection. So no, unless the agency says they welcome audio submissions, don't do it.

You're very busy and desperately looking for something to sell so you can pay off your mortgage. Someone sends something you have to listen to for 90 seconds. You've already rejected the top 3 of your slush pile by then. What are you going to do?

I don't think the pitch idea is any different than what exists now. If your voice can entice, captivate, beguile you will get more attention for your query. Don't write a formula. Think the written form of Flash Dance for your entry. Classic but revitalised. That is what the publishers are looking for in genre's anyway. You want this reaction from agents. No Kangaroo tributes , please.

I have seen several publishers that stress audio as part of what they offer. Having a recording as part of the submission package could work in those situations. In direct submissions to publishers - especially online magazines - audio and video as part of a piece could be what gets you across the finish line.

In the most recent Huddle South, @AgentPete suggested that for submissions to agents and publishers, that sometimes printed might differentiate yours from the pile, so long as its well presented (but not too polished!).
Sorry, can't have expressed myself as clearly as I should have done :( Printed, as in a short-run printed book, isn't a good idea. Let's discuss further at next Huddle.

You're very busy and desperately looking for something to sell so you can pay off your mortgage. Someone sends something you have to listen to for 90 seconds. You've already rejected the top 3 of your slush pile by then. What are you going to do?

I don't think the pitch idea is any different than what exists now. If your voice can entice, captivate, beguile you will get more attention for your query. Don't write a formula. Think the written form of Flash Dance for your entry. Classic but revitalised. That is what the publishers are looking for in genre's anyway. You want this reaction from agents. No Kangaroo tributes , please.

Love that film. Must watch it again.

Back