I can hardly believe..... I got my way again..... kinda sort of but more than I expected

M

Scientific Studies Applied to Literary Hits

A.Word.A.Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Amber Zade

I've been feeling a full on raging hate for my employer the last week. This is because it's shift bid time.

For those of you who don't work as a monkey for hire, I'll briefly explain the shift bid process. You are given a ranking. You are given a choice of shifts. You pick your shifts and basically gets what is available when your rank is reached.

I am a monkey for hire who for the last 10 years has been able to find a shift that works for me in spite of my ranking. In fact, I am such a smart monkey that I usually get my first choice, not because I always have a good ranking but because I rate the probability of getting each particular shift. By the time the shift bid happens, I have come to terms with the pluses and minuses of my options. In fact, by that time I've usually moved my option to the top of the list.

Well, let just say this shift bid there wasn't variety. I work from 12pm - 12am and was looking forward to getting off a little earlier. After seeing my choices I saw this wasn't going to happen. The best I could even hope for is to have Saturday off so I could go to critique and RWA and even that didn't look likely. Color me really pissed off.

Funny thing ... my supervisor chose to go on vacation this week. A not so unusual thing because supervisors essentially lose a little interest in prodding on a team they will soon be losing after the shift bid is over.

I could not keep my mouth shut in chat. Every word I type in chat is monitored but I am too old and/or reckless to care. The first thing I said in chat was, "So, how about those shift bids?"

With no supervisor to temper the conversation...... within an hour I had made a spreadsheet to present to our director, written an email to the director, gotten at least one other person to write an email to the director, made sure that everyone had their say in our monitored (really?) discussion AND .....

While the shifts will not be changed, there will be some flexibility added which will allow me to start late and go to my critique group and RWA meetings.

That is if they decide to keep me after what is turning out to be a remarkable ability to cause trouble. Like I said, I'm too old and I'm been there too long to really care if they know what I think. Up to a point of course.

VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Scientific Studies Applied to Literary Hits

A.Word.A.Day

Back