Help! Copywrite Question

What’s Happening In My World

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond

Basic
Oct 1, 2014
USA
When I first started self-publishing, I didn't have any idea what I was doing. Still don't, but I've learned a few things along the way, such as NEVER rely on my own proofreading alone, hire an editor, pay for a professional cover artist. Before I learned those hard lessons, in my zeal I had ordered a dozens copies of my books. I quickly realized they were awful and never let them see the light of day. I finally threw them all away about two or three months ago. Or so I thought.

My husband dug them out of the trash. It wasn't out of any sentimentality toward me or my writing. He has never been on board with my writing. Nor has he read any of my work. However, he cannot bear to throw anything away. If it wasn't for me, our house would turn into an episode of Hoarders.

Well, unbeknownst to me, he fished those books out of the trash bin. He's been passing them around to people at work and around town. Also, he has a flea market booth that he runs as a hobby. I'm pretty sure he's been selling those books for a buck or two. I swear, there's a typo on every single page. I'm so embarrassed and mortified! Anyone who reads one of those books will never purchase another one written by me, of that I am sure. So I am here now, looking for pity.

He owes you loyalty, not to distribute without your say so, but maybe they're better than you think. Maybe people will like them better than you think. It can work that way round too, that we're our own harshest critics.

Poor thing! I get you! He meant well, I am sure, but unless you are in the business, it is difficult just how important it is to us to put our best out there. We are a people of perfectionism!!!

Hang in there. It's not that many! Just do your best to laugh it off and offer them fixed copies when you are done. You can even give them the "pre-reader" discount. :)

Count it as promotional work, thank him for selling your work then ask him for your royalties lol

You may be a harsher critic of them than the reading public who may be getting an excellent read, with a few minor flaws, for almost nothing. They'll be collectable one day, worth a fortune. Perhaps your husband should store them if he wants to make real money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Help! Copywrite Question

What’s Happening In My World

Back