Question: Huddle South (or East…?) – Your Thoughts Please!

Amusement AI

Amusement Wow. 10 new Sci fi shows streaming on Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
I’ve been thinking for a while that we ought to experiment with a Huddle that’s scheduled more conveniently for our members who are more than eight hours away from me (UK) in time zones. I think current scheduling tends to inconvenience folk who are > UTC +8 (i.e. to the east of Greenwich) rather more than those to the west, i.e. Hong Kong and all points east such as Aus and NZ have to get up at a truly heroic hour to catch a Huddle. Respect :)

What I’m thinking about doing is starting with just one “Huddle South” (or East?) a month initially.

There would be absolutely no bar to other folk joining, i.e. Europeans, Americans, Canadians, etc. However you’d have to use a bit of common sense about this, i.e. don’t stick a piece of work in to Huddle South that’s only just been covered in a regular Huddle. In case we had too many submissions, I’m suggesting that priority should be given to those geographically located in the South.

Day of the week and exact timing needs to be determined. My preferred day would be Wednesday, but happy to consider others.

Time… play around with this world clock. I’ve chosen, randomly, Wednesday 10th January 2024 at 9:30am UK for two hours. Check on the list to see what time that corresponds to in your own time zone, and let me know your thoughts, please.

Unfortunately this would be too late for me in New Zealand, especially on a weeknight. During daylight savings (i.e. now) it would start 10:30pm (NZ time) and end after midnight. During non-daylight savings it might be doable, but I'd probably be nodding at the keyboard through most of it.

Well, it's definitely not a convenient time for the U.S. west coast, but then the 5pm hour (9am PST) is good for most in the U.S..

I hope it wouldn't mean a bunch of the good people I so enjoy getting together with at the Saturday Huddle would switch over because a mid-morning UK time would be better than a Saturday 5-7pm time. At least in the U.S., Saturday evenings are often when people go out to dinner, movies, or whatever, or entertain at home. Is that the same in the UK? Does it affect attendance?

I will always make time for the Huddle. I find myself enjoying the company of other writers, something I've never experienced, except maybe in film/TV production, but then it's more combative. So, yes, I'm finding the Huddle uniquely rewarding. Obviously, because they're a great bunch.

Unfortunately this would be too late for me in New Zealand, especially on a weeknight. During daylight savings (i.e. now) it would start 10:30pm (NZ time) and end after midnight. During non-daylight savings it might be doable, but I'd probably be nodding at the keyboard through most of it.
What would be better, Nikky?

Well, it's definitely not a convenient time for the U.S. west coast, but then the 5pm hour (9am PST) is good for most in the U.S..

I hope it wouldn't mean a bunch of the good people I so enjoy getting together with at the Saturday Huddle would switch over because a mid-morning UK time would be better than a Saturday 5-7pm time. At least in the U.S., Saturday evenings are often when people go out to dinner, movies, or whatever, or entertain at home. Is that the same in the UK? Does it affect attendance?
No, West coast would almost be impossible.
However, this isn't instead of the existing weekly Saturday Huddle, it's an additional meet, probably once a month for starters.

I like this idea a lot, the more huddles the better. But I would still continue to come to the regular huddle during daylight savings because I love you all so. Also, I'm assuming no @AgentPete in a Huddle South, depending on the time? So how would Huddle Southers get industry news, thought provoking discussion topics, and hear what's coming up for Litopia? Another reason to join the regular huddle.

I'll be well asleep by the 10:30pm time mentioned. On a weekday evening, my times are limited to 7pm-9pm. That's a 6am start UK time. On a weekend I'm more flexible. Anytime from 5pm on UK time is good with me. But that's getting into regular huddle time.

I like this idea a lot, the more huddles the better. But I would still continue to come to the regular huddle during daylight savings because I love you all so. Also, I'm assuming no @AgentPete in a Huddle South, depending on the time? So how would Huddle Southers get industry news, thought provoking discussion topics, and hear what's coming up for Litopia? Another reason to join the regular huddle.
No, I'd definitely still be in the hot seat – well, slightly warm – at least until we’d got a feel for how it might shape up.

Regular Huddle continues in any case, and folk are welcome to come to both / either.
I'll be well asleep by the 10:30pm time mentioned. On a weekday evening, my times are limited to 7pm-9pm. That's a 6am start UK time. On a weekend I'm more flexible. Anytime from 5pm on UK time is good with me. But that's getting into regular huddle time.
That's useful, thx :)

I'm glad you clarified the Sat ones continue as scheduled. You are just making yourself available for 5 days a month instead of 4. I think it's great. Say I cant make a Sat, I can catch up on Wed.

I take it this centers around HK time? Having lived in HK it was a long trek to OZ and NZ another long plane ride esp to the interior so I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that NZ is so late. But it does. Is there a time that would suit NZ, OZ and HK?

Last edited:

You're assuming @AgentPete sleeps. I think he just power naps.

No, West coast would almost be impossible.
However, this isn't instead of the existing weekly Saturday Huddle, it's an additional meet, probably once a month for starters.
Right, got that. And for most U.S. folks, the current time is a good one, unless they do other things on Saturday evenings. You can't please everybody, and will do a good job of making it work for as many folks as possible, I'm sure. I chuckle when I think of how I and most people I know struggle just to schedule a local meeting at a time that makes people happy. Never easy.

What would be better, Nikky?
Even just an hour early would make it more doable from an NZ standpoint—at least during our daylight savings months. However, that may affect the Aussies, who have an even harder time than we do making the usual Huddles.

Unfortunately with the UK, NZ, and parts of AU all going on and off daylight savings at different times tends to make picking a consistent time difficult. A UK 9.30am start is 10:30pm in NZ during our daylight savings months (Oct-April/Summer) but 8:30pm during the rest of the year. So the Huddles from April to October wouldn't be a problem for me if it stayed at 9:30am UK time, but I'd probably not attend them once daylight savings clocks on. (But by that point it's also much easier to attend the regular Saturday night Huddles, so I would just switch to those).

A potential solution would be to change the time +/- an hour for summer and winter. But I think that's something to consider later and put to the members who regularly attend.

Last edited:
I’ve been thinking for a while that we ought to experiment with a Huddle that’s scheduled more conveniently for our members who are more than eight hours away from me (UK) in time zones. I think current scheduling tends to inconvenience folk who are > UTC +8 (i.e. to the east of Greenwich) rather more than those to the west, i.e. Hong Kong and all points east such as Aus and NZ have to get up at a truly heroic hour to catch a Huddle. Respect :)

What I’m thinking about doing is starting with just one “Huddle South” (or East?) a month initially.

There would be absolutely no bar to other folk joining, i.e. Europeans, Americans, Canadians, etc. However you’d have to use a bit of common sense about this, i.e. don’t stick a piece of work in to Huddle South that’s only just been covered in a regular Huddle. In case we had too many submissions, I’m suggesting that priority should be given to those geographically located in the South.

Day of the week and exact timing needs to be determined. My preferred day would be Wednesday, but happy to consider others.

Time… play around with this world clock. I’ve chosen, randomly, Wednesday 10th January 2024 at 9:30am UK for two hours. Check on the list to see what time that corresponds to in your own time zone, and let me know your thoughts, please.
The current Huddle works for me (7AM now) 6AM daylight savings time.

Maybe if everyone could put on the event calendar WHEN is a good time for a zoom meeting -then we could figure out mornings, evenings or afternoons that work?
Ok I tried to. Mine would be 8pm Wednesdays. Maybe if everyone jumped on to that thread and put in what was good for them? because the format does not make it easy for everyone to do their own I dont think.

I did try to put in a deadline for a comp entry. It's all very messy. Next time I'll just put in midnight to midnight for the deadline. Or what ever is appropriate because I got caught out last month with a 5pm deadline.

No, I'd definitely still be in the hot seat – well, slightly warm – at least until we’d got a feel for how it might shape up.

Regular Huddle continues in any case, and folk are welcome to come to both / either.

That's useful, thx :)
I'd be working, but I'm UK based anyway, so not a priority. If I'm on annual leave, I'd make the effort to come to the other time though. Enjoying huddling :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amusement AI

Amusement Wow. 10 new Sci fi shows streaming on Apple

Back