How to hoax a book into being a bestseller.

Ursula Le Guin's Book View Café

25 Quotes That Will Inspire You To Be a Fearless Writer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Whybrow

Jun 20, 2015
Cornwall, UK
After the publication of Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchman, which became an instant sales success, there's now a backlash with some readers demanding their money back, on the basis that the novel was misrepresented as being something that it isn't :

http://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ring-refunds-for-go-set-a-watchman-harper-lee

Personally, I always though that there was too much marketing smoke being blown around, with barely a fire for literary warmth, when it came to Harper Lee's first effort at a novel. It made me think of the old warning adage - 'If a thing sounds too good to be true, it probably is.'

And as Charles Bukowski observed :

tumblr_nl49zrvLo11uoe4elo1_1280.jpg

Whatever the literary worth of 'Go Set A Watchman', at least it exists. I found a story this morning, via my Quora.com feed, about a best-selling book that didn't exist at all - until it did!

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-biggest-media-hoax-in-history

main-qimg-1353794cff29198a0c6e15acb8780ad2

This could be viewed as the ultimate elevator pitch, I suppose, for it roused the interest of enough readers to propel 'I, Libertine' onto the New York Times bestseller list.

Whatever the literary worth of 'Go Set A Watchman', at least it exists. I found a story this morning, via my Quora.com feed, about a best-selling book that didn't exist at all - until it did!

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-biggest-media-hoax-in-history

main-qimg-1353794cff29198a0c6e15acb8780ad2

This could be viewed as the ultimate elevator pitch, I suppose, for it roused the interest of enough readers to propel 'I, Libertine' onto the New York Times bestseller list.
This is truly amazing. It's hard enough to generate interest in a book that actually exists! He didn't even have to write one! And then he did, just for fun, like,
"whatev. It's already a bestseller. I might as well write it, I guess."

That's a great hoax story! Loved the detail about the gossip columnist claiming to have had dinner with the author! William Boyd did something similar more recently.

From Wikipedia:

In 1998, Boyd published Nat Tate: An American Artist 1928-1960, which presents the paintings and tragic biography of a supposed New York-based 1950s abstract expressionist painter named Nat Tate, who actually never existed and was, along with his paintings, a creation of Boyd's. When the book was initially published, it was not revealed that it was a work of fiction, and some were duped by the hoax; it was launched at a lavish party, with excerpts read by David Bowie (who was in on the joke), and a number of prominent members of the art world claimed to remember the artist.

It just shows that so much of hype is people simply jumping on a bandwagon. If only we knew how to get our own bandwagons rolling...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ursula Le Guin's Book View Café

25 Quotes That Will Inspire You To Be a Fearless Writer

Back