What not to say to literary agents.

44 Calls for Submissions in March 2020 - Paying markets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbara

Emeritus
Nov 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
So, I'm thinking of contacting a few specific organisations (relevant to my novel, of course) in the hope I can get someone within them to read my 'blah' and give me an endorsement of my, as of yet unpublished, book.

Any thoughts of how I present my work? A word document? A PDF? Convert it to an e-reader file (no idea how)? Or do I send out a hard copy, printed on my printer?

On one hand, I'd like to make it easy for someone to read it, on the other hand, I'm protective about my work - sending a word doc feels vulnerable.

I wouldn't send a Word doc @Barbara. Maybe PDF. However... there is the chance you'd be sending your idea to people who 1) aren't interested; 2) are interested but don't have the time to read it and endorse it or 3) know someone who could write up the idea.

I know that's horribly cynical, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard writers say they got in touch with (usually) a publisher or agent pitching an idea that they KNOW is very commercial and then get the call a few weeks/months later informing them, "Oh, we have someone working on something similar already..." One writer challenged the publisher about why he had asked to see samples of her writing (he already knew she could write), if he already had someone working on a similar idea. The cheeky B said he only wanted to see what her "take" on the subject would be.

I know you're only planning to pitch to specific organisations who may be good for endorsing the completed novel, but I wonder if it might be better for you to keep stuff close to your chest and approach them by telephone (if possible), in person (admittedly difficult) or by a brief explanatory email asking if this (your idea re endorsement) is something they might be interested in. And only then, if they are interested, and you feel good about the exchange, only then start sending PDFs or whatever.

That's just my take on it. :)

I wouldn't send a Word doc @Barbara. Maybe PDF. However... there is the chance you'd be sending your idea to people who 1) aren't interested; 2) are interested but don't have the time to read it and endorse it or 3) know someone who could write up the idea.

I know that's horribly cynical, but I can't tell you how many times I've heard writers say they got in touch with (usually) a publisher or agent pitching an idea that they KNOW is very commercial and then get the call a few weeks/months later informing them, "Oh, we have someone working on something similar already..." One writer challenged the publisher about why he had asked to see samples of her writing (he already knew she could write), if he already had someone working on a similar idea. The cheeky B said he only wanted to see what her "take" on the subject would be.

I know you're only planning to pitch to specific organisations who may be good for endorsing the completed novel, but I wonder if it might be better for you to keep stuff close to your chest and approach them by telephone (if possible), in person (admittedly difficult) or by a brief explanatory email asking if this (your idea re endorsement) is something they might be interested in. And only then, if they are interested, and you feel good about the exchange, only then start sending PDFs or whatever.

That's just my take on it. :)
That's a good take. Even though said org has nothing to do with writing, I'll nevertheless rethink. Thank you.

That's a good take. Even though said org has nothing to do with writing, I'll nevertheless rethink. Thank you.
It's the sort of lateral thinking I've been doing to promote my Cornish Detective series. The plots include naturism, paganism, fine art, PTSD, homelessness, LGBTQ, farming, supercars, human trafficking, escaped exotic animals and wildlife conservation. Just think of the number of groups representing those interests, though, some of them would be more annoyed than impressed over what I've written! My initial contact with such organisations would be by a press release, that would also be sent to the radio, television and newspaper media, of course. Which is why I've been studying articles like this:

How To Write A Press Release For A Book

The other thing I've been attempting, Barbara, is to cultivate the attention of influential people on Twitter. I'm about as subtle in my progress as an elephant wearing galvanised buckets for boots, but maybe if authors in my genre and those who live in Cornwall recognise my name, it may lead somewhere. Twitter comes across as mutual back-scratching place.

The other thing I've been attempting, Barbara, is to cultivate the attention of influential people on Twitter. I'm about as subtle in my progress as an elephant wearing galvanised buckets for boots, but maybe if authors in my genre and those who live in Cornwall recognise my name, it may lead somewhere. Twitter comes across as mutual back-scratching place.
I guess I ought to bite the (keyboard) bullet and sign up to Twitter. I've been avoiding it. It's yet, another thing to do in an already short day. SIGH. But you're right.

I avoided it for years, annoyed by those who banged on about their tweets. But, as you'll have noticed when things go viral, Twitter is enormously influential. Its immediacy is appealing, in that I can learn of agents accepting queries straight away, even asking them for clarifications. Not having to trawl through literary agency websites is a boon. I'll never be an addict, but I do keep Twitter open in the top left of my screen, checking on it once an hour for developments in the world of publishing.

I guess I ought to bite the (keyboard) bullet and sign up to Twitter. I've been avoiding it. It's yet, another thing to do in an already short day. SIGH. But you're right.
But you can also do what Paul suggests on Facebook... Yes, indeed, why not exploit facebook connections for getting people know what you are up to. You can ask them questions like you do here. Twitter of course is quicker and more immediate. Which has made me realize that I am not using in the least the potential of fb or twitter to my advantage... mainly because I have't really thought about it, can't be bothered or am downright lazy.... Ah me! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

What not to say to literary agents.

44 Calls for Submissions in March 2020 - Paying markets

Back