• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Craft Chat How to live long and prosper

Pamela Jo

Blogger
Per Hermingway. Only I use a keyboard instead of a typewriter. In his day I would have bled whiteout. Boy do I NOT miss typewriters.

But having seen multiple things on social media about how people who do things they don't want to do live longer- I figure writers have the chance to outlive everyone.

So I saw this as advice and decided I'd put it here.

Try a triple list​

The first of several list suggestions on this, er, list. “Every day I list three things I must do: one annoying task (eg, post letter), one uncomfortable one (eg, attend gym class) and one painful one (eg, no sugar). Having three of varying discomfort means I am more likely to do the lesser ones as a way to productively procrastinate on the bigger one.” Fionnula, reader

Writers have ample opportunity to do all 3 before 2nd breakfast.

Half of my to do list is things I don't want to do. I've outgrown the desire for sugar, but I love maple syrup (within reason).
How do you outgrow the taste for sugar? The idea of Vermont maple sugar in faraway OZ intrigues me. In Switzerland they tap the birch in spring and use the watery sap to make wine. So does Prince Charles. We were at Hampton Court Christmas Eve long ago and he paid bonuses in his birch wine. The recipients would have preferred cash so they sold us a case. It was incredibly light with a little fizz. I wonder if anyone ever tried making sugar maple wine?

How do you outgrow the taste for sugar? The idea of Vermont maple sugar in faraway OZ intrigues me. In Switzerland they tap the birch in spring and use the watery sap to make wine. So does Prince Charles. We were at Hampton Court Christmas Eve long ago and he paid bonuses in his birch wine. The recipients would have preferred cash so they sold us a case. It was incredibly light with a little fizz. I wonder if anyone ever tried making sugar maple wine?

When I cook, I'll add maybe half the asked for sugar (don't use white sugar, only coconut) and overtime I've come to hate the tackiness of sugar in my mouth.

When I cook, I'll add maybe half the asked for sugar (don't use white sugar, only coconut) and overtime I've come to hate the tackiness of sugar in my mouth.
I also like to use coconut sugar and dates. Also use monk fruit. But cooking is chemistry, sometimes you just have to use refined. Like you tho I do cut in half. American recipes have more sugar than any other country. Because of the slave trade molasses to rum to slaves- the colonies had cheap sugar. That has been reflected in our cookbooks since the 1700's.

Back