Hi

Control of Writing Groups threads

Amusement When you're trying to align subplots with the main plot

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2019
Rome, Italy
Hi Pete and hi to all writers,
Just introducing myself, though there's not much to say.
I live partly in Rome and partly in Tuscany.
I'm a retired actress.
A few years ago I self-published the memoir "A bitch in Rome" (about a dog). Subsequently I did two online creative writing courses with Oxford university.
I'd like to do a pop-up submission of my first novel and also to have critical exchanges with other writers, but first I must get my bearings on the site and catch up with available information.
It's both daunting and stimulating to be in a community of writers.
Jiannina

Welcome to the Colony, Jiannina. And: Hey, hey, a fellow thesp! (I'm a writing-as-well-as-darn-day-job-has-taken-over actress). You certainly live in a nice place.

Enjoy your time here.

Welcome to the Colony, Jiannina. And: Hey, hey, a fellow thesp! (I'm a writing-as-well-as-darn-day-job-has-taken-over actress). You certainly live in a nice place.

Enjoy your time here.
Hi Barbara,
I had a reasonable acting career, but it's ten times more difficult for a woman, and as one ages the chances of landing a role get slimmer. That said, I love words and I think that having acted for more than thirty years is useful when writing dialogues ... if nothing else. Through a playwright's words we're used to communicating with a degree of immediacy, and that's handy.

I think that having acted for more than thirty years is useful when writing dialogues
Totally agree, especially when it comes to timing/rythm, but also with characterisation through dialogue. And, of course, acting makes one accutely present with emotions and how they control body language. I'm a method actor and I often use some acting techniques when I write. This acting-writing connection is such an interesting subject. I could waffle on for hours.

Yeah, it's tough for us ladies. I have / I had the additional hurdle of not being a native English speaker. Swiss accents aren't in demand, I noticed, no matter how mild an accent is. :)

Have you written any plays? I started one but got sidetracked with this novel writing thing.

Totally agree, especially when it comes to timing/rythm, but also with characterisation through dialogue. And, of course, acting makes one accutely present with emotions and how they control body language. I'm a method actor and I often use some acting techniques when I write. This acting-writing connection is such an interesting subject. I could waffle on for hours.

Yeah, it's tough for us ladies. I have / I had the additional hurdle of not being a native English speaker. Swiss accents aren't in demand, I noticed, no matter how mild an accent is. :)

Have you written any plays? I started one but got sidetracked with this novel writing thing.
I've adapted for the stage from various authors, but never written a play.
My present dilemma is that I've written a novel in English (my mother tongue) that has an Italian setting, which is not your typical Venice/Florence/Rome/Amalfi coast seting of general interest, but one of an isolated mountain town. Hmmm. Not a smart move, but I've written a story that I care about, so that's what counts, I guess.

My present dilemma is that I've written a novel in English (my mother tongue) that has an Italian setting, which is not your typical Venice/Florence/Rome/Amalfi coast seting of general interest, but one of an isolated mountain town. Hmmm. Not a smart move, but I've written a story that I care about, so that's what counts, I guess.
Actually, I think it's a good move. A good story, an authentic setting ... a good story can be set anywhere. You know the place, and you can put it across in a fresh way; away from the typical or obvious. You can make it unique with an authentic feel. Besides, lots of interesting stuff can happen in an isolated mountain town. Good luck with it. :)

Last edited:
Hello, Jiannina, Welcome. We have a lot in common. I too live in Italy, in the province of Treviso. I am Italian born but was transplanted in Britain at an early age, so my mother tongue is English too. In Britain I trained for teaching in art and drama... there we go- us theatre people! Actually, drama helps a lot with writing novels: dialogues are second nature. I'll look forward to seeing your submission on Pop-Ups. I've just had mine reviewed on 14th April and the feedback was extremely helpful- couldn't have done without it. if ever you're up north, let me know and perhaps meet. :victory-hand: Yes, we must meet.

Hello, Jiannina, Welcome. We have a lot in common. I too live in Italy, in the province of Treviso. I am Italian born but was transplanted in Britain at an early age, so my mother tongue is English too. In Britain I trained for teaching in art and drama... there we go- us theatre people! Actually, drama helps a lot with writing novels: dialogues are second nature. I'll look forward to seeing your submission on Pop-Ups. I've just had mine reviewed on 14th April and the feedback was extremely helpful- couldn't have done without it. if ever you're up north, let me know and perhaps meet. :victory-hand: Yes, we must meet.
Well we have Treviso in common too! My father was from that area. He emigrated to Australia when he was sixteen and later married and settled in Melbourne where I was born.
I saw the pop-up session with your submission and found the comments to all entries made by Pete and his guests to be extremely useful. I'm still finding my way round the site (I'm not too digital savvy) and I hope that soon I shall be able to interact with everybody sensibly.

Well we have Treviso in common too! My father was from that area. He emigrated to Australia when he was sixteen and later married and settled in Melbourne where I was born.
I saw the pop-up session with your submission and found the comments to all entries made by Pete and his guests to be extremely useful. I'm still finding my way round the site (I'm not too digital savvy) and I hope that soon I shall be able to interact with everybody sensibly.
There are quite a few people from my village who have emigrated to Australia. Last Thursday some friends called me to translate for them as some of their relatives from Sydney came to visit. I have pictures on my facebook page. Are you on Facebook?

There are quite a few people from my village who have emigrated to Australia. Last Thursday some friends called me to translate for them as some of their relatives from Sydney came to visit. I have pictures on my facebook page. Are you on Facebook?
I cancelled my Facebook account.
My dad was from Nervesa della Battaglia.

We might even be related!
That could well be possible- depends who your grandparents from your dad's side were. Although I don't have many relatives from the Ulian side because that ancestry goes back to Mongolia, I do have over 300 from my mum's side, and that's counting just the ones in this village.

Lovely avatar of yourself, you have. Is it you?

That could well be possible- depends who your grandparents from your dad's side were. Although I don't have many relatives from the Ulian side because that ancestry goes back to Mongolia, I do have over 300 from my mum's side, and that's counting just the ones in this village.

Lovely avatar of yourself, you have. Is it you?
Yes, that's me. It's the most recent shot I have. I was spruced up for my son's wedding last summer. But don't be deceived, on any normal day the wrinkles and grey hair and bags under my eyes are all too evident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Control of Writing Groups threads

Amusement When you're trying to align subplots with the main plot

Back