Hi

IRREFUTABLE and Bookbub

Fanfare! Planet of the Red Dust coming soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Livi Shaw

Hopefully the next time I do this I will have worked out how to add a photo too. Looking forward to getting to know some of you. I've self-published up until now. I'm hoping to stick my head above the parapet and look for an agent for my latest MS. I think I may be awful at writing query letters - too British, they feel like bragging - so I shall be looking through the site for any help there is going.

Livi

Hi Livi and welcome. Agents aren't as scary as people might suggest! :) What genre is the MS you're subbing?

Contemporary SF - but it has romance/thriller leanings, so I struggle to define it. I suspect it may be too 'girly' for some SF agents!

That sounds interesting! Is the stuff you've self published SF too?

And the only way to find out if it's too 'girly' is to send out your first batch and see what sort of feedback you get :)

That sounds interesting! Is the stuff you've self published SF too?

And the only way to find out if it's too 'girly' is to send out your first batch and see what sort of feedback you get :)
No I self published contemporary romance - I think that's probably what bleeds into this. It's a bit of a crossover, which makes it harder to say what shelf it should sit on.

Welcome, Livi.
Come on in - the water's lovely!

Appreciate all the nice welcomes - thank you

Welcome to the Colony, Livi. Literary agents are only scary if you believe in ghosts, for like ghosts query letters pass straight through them! :eek:

As for boasting—it's not boasting if it's true—and you have to believe in the truth of what you've written, or you'll get nowhere!

Literary agents are only scary if you believe in ghosts, for like ghosts query letters pass straight through them! :eek:

Actually, I'm finding the opposite. They're surprisingly communicative. Admittedly nobody has offered me representation yet but all in all it's proving to be a very positive experience and I've had some really useful feedback.

Hello :) Not bragging to say, here's this thing I've written. I see that you were the agent for such and such a book, and I wonder if 'my book' (insert title) might be a good fit for your list at this time?

Just business :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRREFUTABLE and Bookbub

Fanfare! Planet of the Red Dust coming soon!

Back