• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Hello again

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

ChandlerJules

Uva uvam vivendo varia fit "Character is Destiny"
I have reached a threshold with local group--great work being done but in widely divergent areas.
My interests are in novel writing: historical, suspense, time-slips, romance, speculative. I am an avid lifelong reader in wide ranging topics: The Great Influenza, Seneca On a Happy Life, various works on Victorian life in American Southwest, Cynthia D'Prix Sweeney, The Nest, Joseph Conrad, Melville (haven't finished Moby Dick really don't want to know what they do with the whales) Dean Koontz, Stephen King, Willa Cather, Eudora Welty, Edith Wharton, Joan Didion, Charlotte Bronte, Frank Herbert, Heinlein, and Kurt Vonnegut just to offer a sampling. Top five novels: Lonesome Dove, Ethan Fromme, Death Comes for the Archbishop, Cold Mountain, In Cold Blood

I am fascinated with the country of Ecuador, particularly Cuenca and have made tentative plans to travel there with the idea of retiring in that land of eternal springtime.

I enjoy good coffee. Some of the best I have tasted was from Jamaica and Guatemala. I also enjoy dark chocolate and a full-bodied Cabernet Sauvignon.

I am currently attempting to improve on my high school Spanish but that is going slowly.

I look forward to the huddles and book reviews as well. I have enjoyed the Pop-up Submissions online. It is a pleasure to see the diverse range of storytelling and styles of expression. Thanks to the Colony for being here and holding the line for free expression and creativity and compassionate humanity.

Last edited:
Thank you. FYI - I am strong, independent, liberal-leaning individual (Liberal—more than enough for everyone!) who identifies as she/her.

My novel is centered in Santa Fe of 1880, at that time still part of Mexico.

You're very welcome to the colony, @ChandlerJules

Nice to have you here. Hope you enjoy Litopia and do get involved as soon as you’re ready to.

This is a good place to check out (How-to guide) to see a lot of what goes on in the colony.

Can't recommend Huddles highly enough and look forward to seeing you in one soon.

If anything is unclear do please contact me and I’ll be happy to assist if I can.

Hello, @ChandlerJules and welcome!
Your reading and writing list sounds great. I'm sure you'll find lots of like-minded writers here on Litopia. We're a very friendly bunch. Once you get to know the place, and feel comfortable about sharing your work, or critiquing others, you could check out the Workshops.

You can also submit the first 700 words of your own work to Pop-Ups if you'd like some advice on the beginning. That's on YouTube, Sunday evenings from 5pm (UK time). I'm not sure what that is in the US but the beauty of YouTube is you can catch up with it any time. There's excellent advice every week on writing and publishing in general.

Any questions, please get in touch any time.

Back