He said. She said.

RESOURCES FOR WRITERS

Being a good writer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In this video from Reedsy, I think Adina Edelman makes a great point: in discussions around "said or other" it is often assumed that there is said/ask on one side and all the other options are on the other side and they are all more or less the same and should all be avoided.

But in the "the other" category there are at least two kinds of words. Some words like "demanded", "enquired" etc don't add anything as they explain what was already said in the dialogue. But "whispered", "shouted" etc describe how something is said, which may not always be clear from the dialogue line or the context.

'Everyone's doing memes on Litopia,' Darren hissed. 'I hates it.'
'They're funny, fool,' Denise expostulated.
'It's a poor substitute for proper communication,' Dennis sniffed, haughtily.
'You're a snob,' Doreen spat.
'What's for tea?' enquired Delilah.
'Shut up,' Derren sneered.
'We get the idea,' Doris drawled, laconically.

'What's for tea?' enquired Delilah.
'Shut up,' Derren sneered.
But surely "enquired" and "sneered" do two different jobs. And the job "enquired" does is redundant, and in this context "sneered" is (probably) also redundant. But what about "What's for tea?" Derren sneered.

"Not more dialogue tags," the agent huffed.
"But I like them," the author whined.
The agent shrugged. 'Dialogue tags should be ninety percent "said",' she moaned.
The writer rolled his eyes. 'But how will people know how we feel?' he wailed, morosely.
'Learn to be a better writer, you dipstick,' shouted the agent dramatically, turning on her heel.
'Don't call me a dipstick,' protested the writer, 'you're so up yourself.'
The writer began to wring his hands. 'Sorry,' he apologised.
Then, the werewolves from the earlier car breakdown scene entered the room. 'Yummy humans,' they salivated.
...etc.

This is the problem. We all remember the '...' Watson ejaculated thing, because it pulled us out of the story with such a jolt. That's what all dialogue tags except "said" and a few carefully selected and placed others do.

Argued is OK every so often, as are asked, yelled, shouted.

I hold my hand up, early in my writing attempts, I used "drawled laconically" and "spat". Would I now? No way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RESOURCES FOR WRITERS

Being a good writer...

Back