Has the "Bravery gone out of publishing?"

Help! Wanted – Volunteers To Help Me Test Pop-Ups!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie-Ellen

Sep 25, 2014
UK
Just sharing for info. Thread seen on twitter this morning, started by a very famous book illustrator, Jackie Morris (one here for your super talented daughter @Rachel Caldecott )

Jackie Morris has an agent at David Higham Associates.

Jackie Morris said: I am so fed up with publishing at the moment. It doesn’t matter what we create, how hard we work, at the end of the day our books are sold at a discount to the large retailers, undermining publishers, bookshops, authors, illustrators and readers. It’s not a functioning industry.

Meanwhile we are told there isn’t enough money for a living advance while princes, ex duchesses, pop stars and chefs get all the large sums….
I want publishing to be a level playing field. The net book agreement back. I love physical books and the beauty of them. Also, this isn’t about me. It is about a diverse industry. And without fair pay there’s no such thing as diversity.

Responses

The indies are taking the risks. But the big 5 are buying up the bookshelves with crazy discounts to retailers.- BlueMoose Publishing

It’s not necessarily the industry’s fault, we all rely on readers to buy books at full price.

Don't get left behind. Save trees and water. Go digital! Go live and go direct! #NFTBooks Be creative. Chop it up. By topics Chapter by Chapter. Episode by episode. And then Auction it! Book 1, Volume 1. 1 of 12 Chapters. Tokenized your books on-chain in Blockchain Technology & turn it into Digital Asset

At least your books may be displayed in bookshops. Whereas an indie author's book is not pictured anywhere, and if requested for a sale, the purchaser is told: "Ask the author to send you a copy." Not an industry's bootlace...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Wanted – Volunteers To Help Me Test Pop-Ups!

Back