Reality Check Harsh criticism - how do you take it?

How clichéd are your titles

34 Writing Contests in May 2018 - No entry fees

Status
Not open for further replies.
While the gist of the above is that D is the correct answer – and I agree. I wouldn't discount B. Sometimes what we write is shit (I'm speaking of myself). Sometimes we don't have the experience to write the story we're groping towards (I'm speaking of myself). Sometimes we need to write a big pile of shit before we get to the good stuff (I'm speaking of myself, and I ain't there yet).

Getting good at this is hard. Getting good at this takes time.
I didn't say that D was the "correct" response. Each to his own. I just said that generally D was how I responded. In actual fact I think at one pint or another I have done all 4.

Sometimes we need to write a big pile of shit before we get to the good stuff (I'm speaking of myself, and I ain't there yet).
A famous writer, and I forget which one, said that every writer has about 5,000 pages of garbage in them and they should get it out as soon as possible.

A famous writer, and I forget which one, said that every writer has about 5,000 pages of garbage in them and they should get it out as soon as possible.

Never heard that before, but it's on the same track as Stephen King's famous million words, which dates back, probably, to the excellent but slightly problematic John D MacDonald.

(It's also been credited to David Eddings, Jerry Pournelle, Ray Bradbury, and Elmore Leonard.)

I worked with a very exacting editor at Random House for three years. She had lots of things to say about my manuscripts; there wasn't a page that wasn't marked up with suggestions, corrections, deletions. Now, an editor is not the same as an overall critique, but editing bears remarkable similarity in substance. In the end, you must evaluate the comments, and make a decision as to whether they are correct. Sometimes, those comments are dead wrong. Other times, they are right. You are the writer, so it is up to you to develop enough judgment and enough distance from your writing to make the proper call.

Writing is like everything else, for most of us it takes a lot of practice before you get good at it.
Only the truly gifted can churn out a best seller at their first attempt at writing.

I worked with a very exacting editor at Random House for three years. She had lots of things to say about my manuscripts; there wasn't a page that wasn't marked up with suggestions, corrections, deletions. Now, an editor is not the same as an overall critique, but editing bears remarkable similarity in substance. In the end, you must evaluate the comments, and make a decision as to whether they are correct. Sometimes, those comments are dead wrong. Other times, they are right. You are the writer, so it is up to you to develop enough judgment and enough distance from your writing to make the proper call.
Absolutely.

While the gist of the above is that D is the correct answer – and I agree. I wouldn't discount B. Sometimes what we write is shit (I'm speaking of myself). Sometimes we don't have the experience to write the story we're groping towards (I'm speaking of myself). Sometimes we need to write a big pile of shit before we get to the good stuff (I'm speaking of myself, and I ain't there yet).

Getting good at this is hard. Getting good at this takes time.

Yep, I'm sure all of us have a bin full of crap writing that we've ditched. I don't even think about those things, but there are reams and reams of them! Good to recognise when something is valuable only to line the parakeet's cage.

It is certainly challenging.

Ah. Don't back down from a challenge. To get all MFA on you, how does it make you feel? [Mostly kidding]

I think rhythm is underestimated. Without having read the novel, I'd say the character whose POV we're in has a lot of contempt for everything around him. It's a bleak POV.

I know. I was talking about the gist of all the responses (my inference, which may be wrong). Looking back, I realise I was vague. I meant the whole thread, not your OP.

I think you might have been trying to say that the consensus is that most of us would do D ... not that it was right to do D... necessarily ...

Very often I will set off on a long walk with the germ of an idea for a scene and by the time I return (two or so hours later) I will have the whole scene mapped out in my mind complete with "practiced" dialogue.
Quite what anyone watching me thinks of me muttering to myself as I walk along, I have no idea.:)

Schizophrenia might be what they're thinking. Do you have a tin foil hat?

I think we owe each other honesty, and we should be grateful for it.

Having said that, not hard to spot a hatchet job. The ones which worry us aren't the nasty ones, they are the ones where the remarks chime with wit what we suspect is true.

For me the valuable feedback is about how the reader responds to the tale, emotionally, intellectually but most importantly when and why they want to stop reading. The frisbee moment or the put the book down and maybe get back to it later moment.

Sometimes they tell you what you need to do to put it right, or how they would have approached it - that can be interesting or helpful, but really they are your problems to solve. All the reader can tell you is what grabs them, and what doesn't.

D: Swallow hard, twice. Carefully extract your fingernails from the deep grooves they have made in the desk and go and make yourself a cup of tea. Then come back and reread all the comments taking notes and saying to yourself, "Yes, I can see that now .... Umm, yeah, good point ... I can see how that might work ... Well I'm not sure you are right there but I'll think about it ..." And then start to make changes to your manuscript to make it even more perfect. And then when you finally get it into print thank them all in the acknowledgements section for all the help they have given you.

I know which one I chose. It's D every time for me.
Writers are not generally nasty people, nor are agents. If they give you feedback, it's because they think they can help you improve what you have written. You may not totally agree with what they say, but you should accept that you asked for an opinion and they have given it.
I'm a D girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.

How clichéd are your titles

34 Writing Contests in May 2018 - No entry fees

Back