• Café Life is the Colony's main hangout, watering hole and meeting point.

This is a place where you'll meet and make writing friends, and indulge in stratospherically-elevated wit or barometrically low humour.

Some Colonists pop in religiously every day before or after work. Others we see here less regularly, but all are equally welcome. Two important grounds rules…

• Don't give offence
    • Don't take offence

We now allow political discussion, but strongly suggest it takes place in the Steam Room, which is a private sub-forum within Café Life. It’s only accessible to Full Members.

You can dismiss this notice by clicking the "x" box

Welcome… I’m New Here! Gruëzi and bonjour from Switzerland

Select this prefix to introduce yourself here!

Mel L

Blogger
LitBits
Hello writer friends!
This is Mel saying hello from Switzerland. I'm a newbie to Litopia and to writer forums in general so please be forgiving while I figure out how everything works. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada but have lived in France and Switzerland for 30 years. Professionally I'm a freelance writer and have worked in advertising and PR for most of my career. Also an avid reader, TV junkie, fitness fan and proud owner of French bulldogs. I have a novel in the almost ready-to-share 'shitty first draft' stage for which I'll be seeking critiques.
Any advice welcome. Looking forward to getting to know you soon!

Ja sali Mel,

Yodeldydoo. En anderi Schwiizeri i der Colony. Das freut mi.

Nice to meet you. Where do you live in Switzerland? I'm from a little town not that far from Luzern.

:):)

Welcome to the Colony, Mel. We are most excited to have another Swiss (ish) Litopian to discuss cheese and Swiss chocolate with :)

Ja sali Mel,

Yodeldydoo. En anderi Schwiizeri i der Colony. Das freut mi.

Nice to meet you. Where do you live in Switzerland? I'm from a little town not that far from Luzern.

:):)
Hi Barbara, we must be almost neighbours! I am in Brunnen, not far from Schwyz. (Still working on my Schweizerdeutsch!)

Hi Barbara, we must be almost neighbours! I am in Brunnen, not far from Schwyz. (Still working on my Schweizerdeutsch!)
Ah, Brunnen. Wonderful! It's such a lovely part of the word. I now live in England (couldn't get much flatter, couldn't it) but visit Switzers about twice year (before COVID anyway) for that mountain fix. And to see my family.

I can imagine Swiss German is hard to learn.

Ah, Brunnen. Wonderful! It's such a lovely part of the word. I now live in England (couldn't get much flatter, couldn't it) but visit Switzers about twice year (before COVID anyway) for that mountain fix. And to see my family.

I can imagine Swiss German is hard to learn.
Can only imagine how much you must miss it. And yes, the language is tough, but the people here make life easy.

Hey, thanks! Finding my feet and enjoying the welcome so far. I write fiction and memoir, with humour as a common denominator. What about you?

I've self-published a memoir, and now I write YA fantasy. I'd love to read some humour though! It's a hard thing to write, so good on you for doing it :)

Hi @Mel L welcome to the Colony. Do be brave and share your work. It's a first draft, so what. Test-drive your idea with us. Writing in a vacuum does no good (as I discovered) and we are a supportive bunch.

Hi @Mel L welcome to the Colony. Do be brave and share your work. It's a first draft, so what. Test-drive your idea with us. Writing in a vacuum does no good (as I discovered) and we are a supportive bunch.
Thanks, Galadriel! You are right. I will get my feet wet first on a few workshops and share something here soon. Really appreciate the warm welcome.

Hi @Mel L

Welcome to Litopia and sorry I missed you introduction post earlier this week.

You’ve come to the right place. We’re all about writing here and getting / giving critiques on your work and those of others is one of the main things that Litopia does. You'll find the relevant forum here. Workshops So don't be shy and feel free to dive straight in.

Anything you're not sure about on the site just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help.

This link might come in handy to help you navigate your way around the colony. How-to Guide

Hi @Mel L

Welcome to Litopia and sorry I missed you introduction post earlier this week.

You’ve come to the right place. We’re all about writing here and getting / giving critiques on your work and those of others is one of the main things that Litopia does. You'll find the relevant forum here. Workshops So don't be shy and feel free to dive straight in.

Anything you're not sure about on the site just drop me a line and I'll be happy to help.

This link might come in handy to help you navigate your way around the colony. How-to Guide
Thank you, Jonny! So far there is lots of info to digest and I'm gradually finding my feet. Definitely feeling this is the right place for writers.

Hello writer friends!
This is Mel saying hello from Switzerland. I'm a newbie to Litopia and to writer forums in general so please be forgiving while I figure out how everything works. I'm originally from Toronto, Canada but have lived in France and Switzerland for 30 years. Professionally I'm a freelance writer and have worked in advertising and PR for most of my career. Also an avid reader, TV junkie, fitness fan and proud owner of French bulldogs. I have a novel in the almost ready-to-share 'shitty first draft' stage for which I'll be seeking critiques.
Greetings, Mel! I'm new-ish as well, and also a freelance writer from the advertising world. I'm originally from Maine but have lived in California for the last twenty years. Plugging away at my first novel atm. See you around!

Greetings, Mel! I'm new-ish as well, and also a freelance writer from the advertising world. I'm originally from Maine but have lived in California for the last twenty years. Plugging away at my first novel atm. See you around!
Hi Jan, thanks for the introduction! Nice to know a fellow freelancer in this group. Also working on my first novel. It's never too late to start writing for ourselves.

Hello writer friends!
Welcome @Mel L! Looking forward to trading stories!

Back