GD&D? 'Publsher' - how do you spell that?

Introducing myself

Books in Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ralph hoyte

I am a (supposedly) fairly successful poet, writer and GPS-triggered literary app producer (Bristol-based). By this, I mean I make 'a living' from writing. I have just spent over 5 years writing a novel (3S10), so now I'm in a new battle arena, seemingly: I mean, I write mainly to commission, and don't know anything about 'getting my novel published'. So I've read, and continue to read, everything everyone has to say on the topic, including on Litopia. Yesterday I was about to send 3S10 off to another agent when an agent I had approached over 20 years ago (that's another story!) emailed in response to my enquiry letter to her. She said, 'sounds interesting ... but publishers aren't interested in anything unless it's written by a celebrity'. Then I also read on a submissions site that Brexit is making life increasingly difficult for UK publishers, and the situation 'will get worse'.

So, is it all GD&D (gloom, doom, er, can't remember what the 'D' stands for... . ah - despair!???). Somehow I think not. It seems to mean 'traditional publishing' is on its last legs - but I work a lot in digital media, so I'll use that knowhow instead. I'm just thinking - if that is the situation in publishing, then why bother: there's no point (including their timescales even IF you get a publisher ... it's all too unweildy er, unwieldly (?). Self-publish. Ah well, I don't have much to do for the next 20 years...

Goodness - that doesn't sound like an agent you'd want to work with! What a negative view! In my experience it's nothing like that at all. Agents are looking out for the shiny new debut to launch into the world and if you already have a track record in other areas of writing that gives you an advantage! Don't listen to the naysayers!!!

Many thanks for upbeat response! 'Twas a cold and dreary day yesterday! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Introducing myself

Books in Translation

Back