Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentPete

Capo Famiglia
Guardian
May 19, 2014
London UK
Total disaster today!

I went to start the Fuze meeting at 4:30pm UK time, as usual. The program wouldn’t even start on my PC – not good. Re-downloaded and reinstalled – no joy.

Tried to get in via the web interface. It understood that I’d created the meeting, but kept on telling me I had to wait until I could accept myself into the meeting... endless loop.

OK, so grabbed my iPad, gonna download Fuze onto that and start that way. No, not going to work either. I use the iStore so rarely that I had to change my password. OK, that’s done. But before i can download the (FREE!) program, Apple insist I update my credit card info! Aargh!!!!!

OK, tried to call in by phone. “Enter my pin”... Nope, don’t have a pin.

Back to web... ah, no video, but can see other Litopians there!

But no-one can hear anyone else, let alone see them. So go to chat...

Then I get kicked out of the meeting. And my security program tell me that some dodgy cookies are trying to land themselves on my machine...

Either Fuze has been hacked, or they have a serious tech problem today.

But it isn’t good enough... for a paying service. So, everyone, I think we’re looking for a new system to preferably see & hear each other, and to share docs too. Suggestions welcome. Max size about 25 people.

Shame, Fuze has always been so good before. Maybe give them one last chance depending on how they explain / compensate for the problem? BTW, I hope the subsequent Skype meeting went ok, sorry that I wasn't able to access it that way.

Shame, Fuze has always been so good before. Maybe give them one last chance depending on how they explain / compensate for the problem? BTW, I hope the subsequent Skype meeting went ok, sorry that I wasn't able to access it that way.

No, the Skype experience was pretty awful, too, mostly because I wasn't prepared to set up a group call like that. Adding people ad hoc was challenging. Previously, I've had a per-determined group all ready to call, which is what Skype really wants you to do.

I've never investigated things like Google hangouts, anyone got any experience of that?

The problem with Google hangouts, I think, is that you need a Google account; I did have one but was so appalled by the subsequent intrusiveness of Google in all aspects of my online life, in particular by the way it made awkwardly inconvenient links between my professional life, my family life and my writerly life, that I deleted said account -- and let me tell you, that was NOT easy. So I am in hurry to go with Google hangouts! There must be a better way...

It really depends on how you want to connect. If Audio + Video is desired, then outside of paying for an expensive service, there aren't many good options. Google Hangouts, Skype, and Facetime are staples. As @Marc Joan said, however, you need a Google account for Google Hangouts. And for Facetime, you need an Apple device. I did some looking and found a few other programs plugged in an article on PCmag.com, but I haven't heard of any of them. It makes me wonder whether they would be any better than Fuze.

Since you have to buy a device for Facetime, I think that probably won't work (since I'm assuming not everyone has Apple products). Skype might work, but you'd need to have that set up beforehand (like @AgentPete said). I think Google hangouts would work fine if everyone was alright with setting up a google account. When I started writing, I set up a fresh Google account and have only connected it to writing stuff. I haven't had any issues as far as spam, or general intrusiveness. At the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. We could go with any or none of the above.

If only Audio is desired, there are a LOT more options. Aside from the three above, there are all kinds of programs available. Teamspeak, Discord, Ventrilo, and Mumble come to mind. All of these are geared towards people who play video games, so these services tend to be more stable. Then again, they only offer voice chat - no video.

I'll keep poking around for something else.

Sorry to hear about your terrible problems.

Have you looked into the WordPress route for this oh venerated agent? There are several plug-ins including project management ones that allow document sharing. There are also plug-ins for social chat, business chat etc. Many of these have a free version to get you hooked, but at least it means you can try them out first - I have always found that the hype and the reality are two different things, so if I can test-bed something and try to break it to make sure it really functions well before handing over cash I feel a lot happier.

I am an idiot so please feel free to ignore any of the above :)

The problem with Google hangouts, I think, is that you need a Google account; I did have one but was so appalled by the subsequent intrusiveness of Google in all aspects of my online life...There must be a better way...

Yep, couldn't agree more...

If only Audio is desired, there are a LOT more options. Aside from the three above, there are all kinds of programs available. Teamspeak, Discord, Ventrilo, and Mumble come to mind. All of these are geared towards people who play video games, so these services tend to be more stable. Then again, they only offer voice chat - no video.

I'll keep poking around for something else.

Thanks, Chase, really appreciate your help on this.

We could get away with audio only. It's nicer to see who you're talking to... but sometimes you don't necessarily want to be seen at, say, 3am local time!

What is essential is the ability to (a) also chat via text and (b) see shared documents. Re the latter, I wanted to add a feature to our meetings that allowed real-time reaction to people's first pages, so seeing/sharing a Word doc would be very useful indeed.

I just want to point out the wonderful fact we're having this conversation. Not so long ago the very idea of a bunch of people from all over the world getting together like this would have been in the realm of sci fi. I'm guessing that five years from now we'll laugh at how difficult this is today.

I just want to point out the wonderful fact we're having this conversation. Not so long ago the very idea of a bunch of people from all over the world getting together like this would have been in the realm of sci fi. I'm guessing that five years from now we'll laugh at how difficult this is today.

5 years from now we will be able to don our Virtual Reality suits and hug each other in cyberspace, and show of our Virtual Reality E-books.... or we still might be debating what the best technology is to use :) But fair doos to @AgentPete for persisting.

Skype isn't great at handling conferences with more than a few people (I think their stated maximum is ten). My own experience of trying to do this hasn't been good, hence my enthusiasm for Fuze.

Truth be told, we don't need video: audio would serve quite nicely - as long as we have both chat and the ability to view documents en groupe.

Skype isn't great at handling conferences with more than a few people (I think their stated maximum is ten). My own experience of trying to do this hasn't been good, hence my enthusiasm for Fuze.

Truth be told, we don't need video: audio would serve quite nicely - as long as we have both chat and the ability to view documents en groupe.

Unfortunately, Skype purposefully limits calls to a minimum number of people because they now offer Skype Business (formerly Microsoft Lync). It does everything you want (audio + video + screen sharing + document sharing for up to 250 people), but for a price.

I know of plenty of audio only programs, but let me look into whether any of them allow for document sharing...

Unfortunately, Skype purposefully limits calls to a minimum number of people because they now offer Skype Business (formerly Microsoft Lync). It does everything you want (audio + video + screen sharing + document sharing for up to 250 people), but for a price.

The price is a bit high, and also they are really pushing tight MS Office/Cloud integration. I'm actually moving away from the dead hand of Microsoft at the moment.

Wondering about a hybrid solution, i.e. our own password-protected web page that has (a) embedded audio (b) chat (c) doc sharing.

What about smartphone apps such as Viber or WhatsApp? I use Viber on speaker and its fine. WhatsApp has group chat limit of 256 - everyone could have their 1.5 seconds of fame...

Never used them - are they phone-only, i.e. no desktop version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! Help with a word/expression.

Author Platform

Back