Fun or Profit?

D

Decision time

K

Thoughts on Audiobooks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to just put this out there as a suggestion … why does the writing have to be brilliant or perfect or stellar, or whatever you're ultimate goal is, right away? Just write it. Get the story down. Write scenes of dialogue if that's all you can do that day. Write the scenes out of order. Just free flow and get something down on paper/into a document. You can always go back and edit it later, mix the scenes around, move everything, etc.

Oh, I know! For years I couldn't write anything at all because I felt it had to emerge perfect, and I'd edit as I went. I FINALLY got past that. I understand now that it's supposed to be crap on the first draft, and I write anyway, but I still feel that block of "This sucks."

I read recently that you should sit down at your computer or whatever you write with and say to yourself, "Today I am going to write a piece of crap."

Another reason I am tricking myself by writing longhand is because there's no temptation to go back and edit--because there's no room to! With a computer, I can easily distract myself by backing up and "fixing" parts of the the story. Writing longhand, I just have to leave it.

Oh, I know! For years I couldn't write anything at all because I felt it had to emerge perfect, and I'd edit as I went. I FINALLY got past that. I understand now that it's supposed to be crap on the first draft, and I write anyway, but I still feel that block of "This sucks."

I read recently that you should sit down at your computer or whatever you write with and say to yourself, "Today I am going to write a piece of crap."

Another reason I am tricking myself by writing longhand is because there's no temptation to go back and edit--because there's no room to! With a computer, I can easily distract myself by backing up and "fixing" parts of the the story. Writing longhand, I just have to leave it.
Nodding all the way through this. :)

My favourite place to write is when I'm on a long flight. I write longhand in a notebook and then transcribe when I land and have access to my computer. Longhand is the way to go just as @Meerkat mentioned because you can't go back and edit. I outlined and wrote the first 5,000 words of my latest book while flying across the Atlantic. Strange but true...
More power to you guys that write it out. I tried that a few times back in high school, but I could never stick with a story when I did that. My hand would cramp and I'd be stuck with a story banging to get out but an inability to get it out.

More power to you guys that write it out. I tried that a few times back in high school, but I could never stick with a story when I did that. My hand would cramp and I'd be stuck with a story banging to get out but an inability to get it out.
I found the same as you @Nicole Wilson I have some big respect for folks that can just write and write and write (longhand)

My favourite place to write is when I'm on a long flight. I write longhand in a notebook and then transcribe when I land and have access to my computer. Longhand is the way to go just as @Meerkat mentioned because you can't go back and edit. I outlined and wrote the first 5,000 words of my latest book while flying across the Atlantic. Strange but true...
I admire you being able to write on a plane. I've tried and just can't do it. Too cramped in that seat. :)

I do a lot of 'writing' in the car (many hospital trips) only I don't write it down. It all just get's logged and stored in my head for later. Think I'd get travel sick if I tried to write. Not to mention a crick in the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Decision time

K

Thoughts on Audiobooks?

Back