Free Book

• Thread starter Kelly Michelle Baker
  • Start date

Good to be back....

Stars of Royal Beauty Bright.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just downloaded it :) Looking forward to getting stuck in x

Diamond, I can't resist a dragon story either! Thanks!

Katie-Ellen, it's been a long while since I read anything about St. George. Thanks for the reminder!!

I missed this, and admittedly I don't own a kindle so I wouldn't have been able to read it all anyway! But, I read some of the sample pages and I think you're a fantastic writer. Did you submit this to agents/publishers?

1408, you are kind to say so! I have submitted to agencies and publishers, but my book is in a weird genre--talking animals. Though talking animals are alive in middle grade, I'm told my writing style caters to young adults, or even adults. The last person to write animal fiction for YA was the wonderful David Clement-Davies (The Sight and Fire Bringer) and even he's gone indie recently!!

@Kelly Michelle Baker I don't have a tumblr account but when I've browsed through before I've seen a lot of teenagers at least role playing as animals, so the market is there. I just have no idea how large it is. But, if agents/publishers aren't willing to risk it just in case, then perhaps you're right to be going straight to your audience. It's a shame though, because the writing really is of a high standard.

The first book I ever started writing was about a talking sock. So, if animals are a difficult ground to break, then where does that leave Sokwurf! (I'm not kidding, it's one of my goals to have Sokwurf's story heard! Haha! :D)

I hope you gain yourself a good audience through the sales of your ebook. :)

Kelly - I too was a military brat! My father was a Royal Marine and we were posted to Camp LeJeune in North Carolina for 2 years before returning to the UK where we moved house 22 times and I went to 16 schools.... I imagine you had a similar existence!

Thanks for the link to your book - I look forward to reading it

1408, I'm touched by your comments! You are so sweet! I haven't looked into the roleplaying scene in a long while, so that's a great suggestion. And I would read a story about a talking sock! I'm pretty sure it's never been done before!!

Island writer, glad to meet another brat! We knew a few marine families growing up, but never lived that far south on the east coast (we were in Rhode Island for 10 months, but most moves were in the west). I'm so jealous that you got to live in the UK! Where? And you have me beat by a LONG SHOT. We only moved 6-7 times, all within the US!

Actually I'm a Brit - my father was offered a wonderful opportunity - 2 British Royal Marines did an exchange with 2 American Marines for a 2 year posting. I started school in the US and was the youngest kid in the school (4 years old) as we start earlier in the UK and my parents didn't want me to be behind when we returned home. Despite being so young, I have some vivid memories of our time there, including when my father flew the Union Jack on the 4th July!!!

Ah! A Brit, now the UK business makes sense! And how neat that your dad flew. My dad is American Air Force and also flew. In fact, I live in Colorado Springs just south of the US Air Force Academy.

Wow! Where in Colorado? My dad was a navigator (eyesight issues prevented him from being an actual pilot). Don't know what planes he flew, but there were many! And yes, Colorado is fantastic!

Evergreen and Boulder. I'll never forget driving over the continental divide at sunset... Wow! Such majesty... And I thought Scotland was gorgeous, but nothing compares to the Rockies.

My father had high frequency hearing problems which is why he couldn't fly jets. He went on to fly for British Airways and is now retired, but I know he misses flying.

Ah! I went to visit Evergreen just last month! Lovely place. And I went to college in Boulder. One day I will visit Scotland..... well, the entire UK, for that matter!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good to be back....

Stars of Royal Beauty Bright.

Back