Question: For our Antipodeans, a time-difference question

Help! how do i narrow down what to write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E G Logan

Nov 11, 2018
Liguria, Italy
Q. Is there a city with a university in either Aus or NZ where someone could feasibly have a regular chat by Zoom or whatever with someone on an island offshore the far north-west of Scotland? This person is an insomniac, whereas the Scot is in roughly normal work hours and on UK time.

The fictional island is nearer Bergen than Scotland and further N than St Petersburg.
Could this work at all?

If not, I can start again in Canada.

Right now it's 2300 in Bergen, and it's 0700 in Sydney (which is 8 hours ahead).
1100 in Bergen is 1800; 1100 in Sydney is 0300 in Bergen. The night-owl in Bergen time zone is more likely to hit a good time (just keep in mind the 8 hours ahead and it works).
Many people do zooms with other parts of the world, but to do it too often/regularly at an inconvenient time for only one party shows a lack of interest. Or worse.

If you want something fictional (and it sounds like you may), University of Canberra is an available name because the actual university there is the Australian National University.

That website of @Peyton Stafford's is awesome! Here's Canberra and Bergen:

You can really play with the insomniac/awake idea...

New Zealand is 11 to 13 hours ahead of the UK (NZ is all on the same time zone, so the time difference is dependent on which region is on/off of daylight savings).

To give the example: when I attend Huddles or Pop Ups, which start at 5pm UK time, I have to get up at 4am during NZ winter, while in NZ summer I have to be up at 6am. When neither region is on daylight savings its a straight 12 hours difference, i.e. 5pm=5am.

I've used Savvy Time Converter a lot to make sure I don't have to get up any earlier than I need to :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

University of Canberra is an available name because the actual university there is the Australian National University.
There is more than one university in Canberra:

ANU - Australian National University (one of the Group of 8 Universities across Australia, known for research-intensive programs)
---
An aside:
the Group of Eight Universities each boast a prestigious status. However, Go8 are not small elite universities like the US Ivy League, but instead massive universities open to all comers with relatively low entry standards.
---
The others:

The University of Canberra
RMC - Royal Military College (and ADFA, UNSW Canberra - Australian Defence Force Academy)
Australian Catholic University (Canberra Campus)
CIT (Canberra Institute of Technology, classified as a university since 1967, and through all the name changes)
and
Charles Sturt University (Canberra Campus).

I wouldn't recommend using a name of an existing entity unless you have permission and say good stuff about them.

There is more than one university in Canberra:

ANU - Australian National University (one of the Group of 8 Universities across Australia, known for research-intensive programs)
---
An aside:

---
The others:

The University of Canberra
RMC - Royal Military College (and ADFA, UNSW Canberra - Australian Defence Force Academy)
Australian Catholic University (Canberra Campus)
CIT (Canberra Institute of Technology, classified as a university since 1967, and through all the name changes)
and
Charles Sturt University (Canberra Campus).

I wouldn't recommend using a name of an existing entity unless you have permission and say good stuff about them.
Yeah, I was wondering that because I once was offered a research post at the University of Canberra (ecology), but I turned it down because I got a scholarship for St. Andrews University (Scotland) for animal behaviour research which is what I really wanted.

To give the example: when I attend Huddles or Pop Ups, which start at 5pm UK time, I have to get up at 4am during NZ winter, while in NZ summer I have to be up at 6am.
My goodness, what dedication. I salute you. And thank you for this.
You can really play with the insomniac/awake idea...

I'll need to think about this. My insomniac is awake because she is heavily pregnant* – so maybe both can't get to sleep and and/or wakes up with cramp/to go to the loo...

* I wanted her to be both physically distant and not able to jump on a plane if the situation on the island calls for it, which it will...

As Nikky said, here in NZ, we're 11-13 hours off the UK, so Zooming early morning or evening is totally feasible without anyone being up terribly late or early. It's when you've got to meet during someone's work day that it sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Help! how do i narrow down what to write?

Back