Fanfare! For all the Lovely Litopian Ladies...

9 Great Writing Conferences in February 2021

Remedies Saw Palmetto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emily

Jul 26, 2018
Ireland
*Beannachtaí Nollaig na mBan!* (Blessings for Women's Christmas)
Today is Nollaig na mBan, also known (in English) as "Women's Little Christmas", also known as Old Christmas, which is also known more widely as the Feast of the Epiphany, celebrated after the conclusion of the twelve days of Christmas.

Traditionally, as a reward for their hard work over the Christmas season, it was a day off from all house work for women and traditional roles were supposed to be reversed in the home: men did the women’s work in the house while women rested and gathered together informally :)

Today I have vakoooooomed, cleaned cupboard doors, cleaned sinks, taps, recorded an audio podcast, and cooked supper, spinach, cheese and pesto pasta....BUT all that's dead easy, I got up late and Il Matrimonio dealt with the kitty litter tray.

Didn't he Jessicat? Yes, he did.

She is one fat cat and was when we got her. Daughter left Uni 5 years ago with student debt, and the lecturer's cat. But we love her to bits.

I suspect she is a reincarnated Hollywood star.

Happy New Year, Emily and all x

Attachments

• Jess what a unit Xmas 2020.jpg
    Jess what a unit Xmas 2020.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Jessicat inside her new scratch tunnel.jpg
    Jessicat inside her new scratch tunnel.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 7
it was a day off from all house work for women and traditional roles were supposed to be reversed in the home: men did the women’s work in the house while women rested and gathered together informally
Thanks, my lovely, but next year you couldn't, like, post this early in the morning or preferably the day before, please. Had I known, I'd have prepared myself (read: threatened himself) for this day. Today I did all the housework, all the washing, and I cooked while himself sat and was artistically otherwise engaged. I'd very much like to spend at least one day writing while he buzzes about with the hoover.

And I did the bins ...

What a gorgeous cat, @Katie-Ellen, looks rotundly contented :) And I have to say that I'd do Aaaaaalllll the housework in exchange for someone else doing the litter tray (barf)...

@Barbara , apparently I'll get a day in lieu for today which was *rather similar* to yours... Until I escaped and painted with my daughter for a few hours. I just need a whole week of all those few hours pushed together ;)

*Beannachtaí Nollaig na mBan!* (Blessings for Women's Christmas)
Today is Nollaig na mBan, also known (in English) as "Women's Little Christmas", also known as Old Christmas, which is also known more widely as the Feast of the Epiphany, celebrated after the conclusion of the twelve days of Christmas.

Traditionally, as a reward for their hard work over the Christmas season, it was a day off from all house work for women and traditional roles were supposed to be reversed in the home: men did the women’s work in the house while women rested and gathered together informally :)
Wot men??? Threw all my six cats outside and steam-cleaned the carpets, the floors, the tables, the chairs... Wore a steel corset to stop my back from breaking- :D Joke, it was a linen one.

Not me! Il Matrimonio took it on his phone, Emily, off the sitting room balcony (upstairs apt) Brill, isn't it. And some more...
The smallest cats always have their eyes on the biggest herons. (There must be a life philosophy in that).

Amazing to have wildlife like this so close by. We have a huge Mr and Mrs Hawk. The cat nearly got Mr H once.

What a view! And amazing to have that just outside your window :) I've spent the day feeding the birds... And the cats who like to eat the bird food and the birds (there was a lot of yelling and arm waving and no bird funerals that I know of thankfully). Little furry feckers.

Don't tell my husband, or he'll start questioning why he does the lion's share of the cooking and laundry on the other days (Me? Smug? YEP :D) Although, to be fair, I did accept his proposal of marriage on the condition he would operate as my man-slave and pension plan and he's admirably stuck to his end of the bargain. My part of the deal was to sleep naked and let him use my car...I've mostly kept to the agreement too.

Last edited:
I say the old roolz still count deep down. Knights gotta show their mettle before they get any serious action (if the woman's not an eejit they won't get the action too soon, and that's why. She doesn't know their mettle.) They need to 'kill a dragon', and 'faint heart never won fair lady'. And when they have no mettle, but they still want the whole show for peanuts, only THEN they might they deserve to be called a simp.

They need to 'kill a dragon', and 'faint heart never won fair lady'.
Personally, I'm in favour of the courtly love model, albeit adapted for modern times. Before Husband was even allowed to propose, he had to fulfil the following quests:

*complete Masters degree
*pay off overdraft
*ask permission individually of my parents for my hand in marriage (not just my dad, I am a feminist after all)

and although I didn't stipulate down-on-one-knee, he did that anyway (inside a radio studio that was on air at the time...but that's another story)

— and the vows you know about.

My A' level studies on Chaucer may have infiltrated my psyche, now I come to think of it.

In 1662 Molière’s The School for Wives was first performedmaybe in 2021 it’s high time for an update… :)

RIGHT! *sharpens quill*

He sounds like mine, a verrie valiante, gentille and worshipfulle Sir Knighte :)

This rheumatoid thing got me in our very first year of marriage, 27 years ago. I was a strong fit girl when he met me. It has been one unrelenting dragon, though still, we have our daughters, and that took some daring of the dragon. But though he can't kill it, and nor, it seems can anything, he has not left me to fight it alone..

Status
Not open for further replies.

9 Great Writing Conferences in February 2021

Remedies Saw Palmetto

Back